Thursday, August 23, 2007

What is This?


When the nephew, niece-in-law and great niece moved back to Japan, they left a number of Japanese items in my refrigerator and freezer.

Most of it was fairly obvious or stuff I could figure out and use – although for me, the box of seaweed wrap is a lifetime supply. Several lifetimes.

A couple of things though – I’m pretty much clueless about.

This bottle for instance. The label is all Japanese and the little pictures on it are completely baffling. It’s got a citrus smell – kind of tastes like lime.

I’ve been using it as a marinade. I soaked a small steak in it the other night – then stir fried the sliced steak with some veggies and added a side of rice. It was delicious.

For all I know – it could be a herbal foot lotion for Mami’s skin condition. LOL

Sinuses

My sinuses generate a ton of stuff. Ever since I was about 13 – 14 years old. I’d been putting up with the sinus pressure and pain all my life until about 6 months ago. My doctor told me it was silly to have the constant pain and prescribed singulair. The downside is that it’s difficult to swallow a cell phone every day. Ha ha ha.

One of the rare side effects is that singulair can cause headaches. I never get headaches – not even once or twice a year. But with the singular – I now have cleared up sinuses – but I also have a constant low grade headache. They don’t come and go – it’s 24 – 7.

If I quit taking the singulair the headaches go away within a day – but then my sinuses clog back up and I have the pressure pain.

Called my doctor and was told that it’s perfectly OK to self-adjust the dosage. Try cutting back to every other day and so on until I find the right balance between not getting the headaches while still being able to breathe.

The best analogy I can think of is taking aspirin to help prevent heart attacks as you get older. Originally people took an aspirin a day. Eventually it was determined that a small dosage is all that’s needed and one can avoid the stomach issues that can arise from taking too much aspirin.

Raccoons

I can’t even go outside on the deck anymore. Since I only feed them a little (not enough to sustain them) they hang around for a while after the food is gone hoping I might put out some more. They search around for a while and play (kind of like puppies and kittens wrestling).

If I go outside and they’re still nearby – they come dashing up the stairs thinking I might be putting more out to eat. Exactly like pet cats and dogs will come running if they hear a can opener or a food bag rattling.

Last night for example, I thought they had gone. I went outside to look at the stars and such. (And by such – I mean p . . . . uh, never mind.) The raccoons were in the yard searching for seed that had fallen out of the bird feeder and other food. One of the little ones saw me. It looked at me – did the stand up on the hind legs begging thing – then took off for the stairs to come up on the deck. With the rest in hot pursuit. I had to high tail it back inside.

Costa Maya and Hurricane Dean

Overall, Hurricane Dean came ashore in the best place possible – the practically deserted jungle of the lower Yucatan peninsula.

Direct eye wall and storm surge hit the little village of Majahual.

This place was my all time favorite stop. Most ship passengers spend their time at the dock and shopping village (i.e. the artificial Disney Land Mexican / Mayan mini-theme park) or went off on jungle and eco-tours and Mayan site tours.

Boze, Nuke’em and I went to Majahual and hung out there. Wasn’t too developed yet and was still a sleepy fishing village. Kind of like a place out of a Hemingway novel.

These were taken from reports posted on the internet:

. . . Costa Maya is a thin strip of land, with the sea to the east, and mangroves to the west, extending 30 miles inland, it is like being on an island, maybe 10 feet in height. The town is 2 blocks wide, sea to the front mangrove (swamp) to the back . . .

“From the new light house all down the town of Majahual, it is no longer Majahual, everything is gone!” Many of the local businesses, she tells us, including restaurants, souvenir shops and dive shops are gone, with only a few buildings spared.

. . . the town is gone, the few remaining buildings will have to be demolished . . .

The paper (and other sources) say's the entire town was "forcibly" evacuated by the military before hand, and no one was lost.


Here’s before and after photos from the web. A couple of vacation photos I took can be found here.







For the upcoming November trip – I’d like to see Roatan take the place of Costa Maya port. Not the same – but still pretty much a rural place.

No comments: