Tuesday, August 07, 2007

Weather and a follow up word about Fashion

It's hot. 99 today. Forecast is 101 tomorrow and Thursday. Naturally, I'd scheduled a week of field work on the hottest week of the year. Drinking a lot of water to stay hydrated. Then again, I work outside in the winter too, when it's sleeting and below freezing. I guess it evens out.

Hot Tub

Haven't had a call back yet from the Thermospas technician. I stop by the office before I head out in the field so I'll call him tomorrow morning to find out what’s up. More likely, I'll end up leaving a message and start the whole phone tag game.

Fashion

I referred to the fashion industry as the silliest waste of time and money on the planet in an earlier entry.

I was talking with a friend last night (and who reads this blog). He's pretty funny and we drifted onto my little quip about the fashion industry.

This is sort of a paraphrase of part of the phone call.

He pointed out that almost everybody wears clothes and that without style and fashion - we'd all be wearing sheets draped over us. Hmmm - well, the burka look is the 'style' of many in the Middle East. I guess it works for them. Plus all the easier to hide the explosives strapped to .....

My friend also pointed out that lots of people have to make their living at Target selling clothes, shoes and accessories and such and that there sure are damn sight worse things to do for a living.

Although we were joking around (in a very rude way) - He's right.

I amend my derisive put down of the fashion industry as applying to what is commonly called haute couture. Overpriced and over hyped. And leave it at that.


There are a lot of 'jobs' one can do which are much sillier and far more useless than being part of the fashion industry.

Avant-garde performance artists come to mind. Talk about people who need to get a job. And a life.

Fortunately performance art isn't nearly as pervasive as fashionistas are in the world. I guess even the idle rich (the patrons who fund that sort of crap) have their limits. LOL

Then - there's Modern Dance. At least that's athletic and, I guess, creative. Not sure how its useful - but it's better than performance art.

So, yeah, there are far more useless things one could do than be a fashion designer.

Come to think of it, my brother-in-law writes articles for the tabloid magazines. So who am I to judge what a worthwhile job is?

:-)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One industry defense could be "Make Fashion. Not War."
mike of Reston :)

Anonymous said...

Add tap dancing to the useless list.

:-)