Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Regular or Extra Crispy?


When I got home from work I started on putting fabric and chips under the back deck. Also laying out concrete squares (16 x 16) under the deck from the crawl space door to the back yard brick walkway. I got 26 of them yesterday.

That was fun.

Afterwards, I was relaxing on the porch when Nuke ‘Em called.

He’s coming to visit this weekend.

We'll go to the spring NCSU football game Saturday.

Hummingbirds

While sitting on the porch – I finally saw 2 hummingbirds at the feeder.

They’ve arrived!!!

I look forward to them every year.

Trailer

Just got a call from a Sanford friend. He wanted to know if he could borrow my yard trailer.

His kid is handicapped and he and a local group are taking a load of handicapped kids to a camp this weekend.

They have individual vehicles that accommodate wheelchairs. For this trip they have access to a hydraulic wheelchair lift. But no way to haul the lift to the camp.

OK to borrow my trailer?

Of course.

Just placed the keys and trailer lock bag on the front porch by the front door.

Regular or Extra Crispy?

How many times have you seen a burning car by the side of the road?

DB and I were driving west on I-40 back in what must have been the late 1980’s. I can’t remember where we were going. Possibly backpacking. Somewhere past Greensboro we drove past a Taurus that was on fire. I remember seeing the aluminum wheels melted. I remember that car because both DB and I had Ford Taurus (Taurii?) at the time.

A decade later, I’d built my house out in the boonies. Since I’ve been here, 10 years this August, I’ve seen 4 – yep – 4 vehicles on fire on US 1 between Cary and Moncure.

1 pickup truck, 1 white mini-van, 2 cars. Not burned out cars; these were on fire when I saw them. The pick up truck and one of the cars were pretty spectacular blazes.

Today after work, this Buick and the grass were on fire at the exit to my house. Others had already stopped and everyone was well away from the vehicle so I went the 2 miles to my house, got my camera and came back. In the 5 minutes it took to get the camera, the fire department had arrived and put out the flames.

Today’s car fire makes vehicle number 5 burning on US 1. What are the odds of seeing that many vehicle fires in one’s driving lifetime? Not cars that were in accidents and burned – I’m talking about cars that just caught on fire. And all on the same 15 mile stretch of freeway between Cary and Moncure. All during the morning or evening rush hour for that matter.

Plus, this is the same stretch of highway that had the airplane on it a couple years ago.

What is it about this part of US 1?

And Now, Apropos of Nothing – A Brief Editorial Opinion

His support for children with cancer and other health issues and Armed Service Veterans is wonderful. I think his apology is sincere. But in the end - Don Imus is a racist idiot.

Raccoons

I'm listening to music and watching the raccoons and possums eat peanuts from the bowl on the deck.

I know that God has a purpose for each and every critter.

But good Lord - Opossums are pretty darn Ugly.


How was your day?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like to refer to burning highway autos as "car-beques"

C