Sunday, April 08, 2007

Hippitus Hoppitus Eousaum Accendo Actususm

Click on the Photos for a Closer Look







Not completely done yet, but you get the idea.

I’ve been wondering how to do the final ‘trim’ so that it will look clean and yet natural. While taking these photos it hit me. Instead of trimming the fabric – I’ll simply place additional bark nuggets over the fabric edge to the gravel drive. That will give the beds a natural looking transition to the gravel driveway.

Another dilemma is how to finish up the fabric and bark between the driveway and the wooded area.

Originally I was going to stop at the end of the front yard (such as it is) and the wooded area but that didn’t look right. As you can see, I carried the fabric and bark a little further out.

Stubby looking. Better than my first idea – but still not quite right.

Obviously I’ll have to carry the fabric and bark further around the curve of the driveway. Maybe to the large oak tree. That still might look stubby like it does now.

I’ll probably end up having to place fabric and bark all the way to the driveway entrance at the street.

Sigh – I thought I was almost done.

Tally so far is 150+ bags of pine bark nuggets, 4 rolls of fabric, 1 edging tool (indispensable), 3 rolls of plastic edging, 2 pair of work gloves, and $100 plus a steak dinner at Ruby Tuesdays for Nuke’s help last weekend.

Closing in on about a thousand dollars. Yikes!

(Niikuri-san: that converts to about a billion yen. Or – 2 drinks at that Geisha bar we went to. LOL)

And I still haven’t bought / planted a single plant or tree yet!

Still formulating ideas for what to plant. Whatever I plant will have to be flowering and colorful. Not just green shrubs. How boring. Why do people do that?

So far, I’m only sure of a Peach tree, a Cherry tree and a flagpole.

Plus – I have to start a vegetable garden next to the porch in the back. Otherwise Nuke won’t shut up about it.

That’s what started this whole project in the first place – the fact that Nuke insisted I “must grow” my own food for self sufficiency. Along with stockpiling a 3 month supply of non perishable food, 40 gallons of fuel and a weapon (shotgun) to defend myself and supplies.

More likely – the deer, rabbits and wildlife will eat the vegetable garden; the fuel drum will catch on fire and burn the house down; and while fleeing the house with a shotgun I’d trip and shoot myself in the foot.

Happy Easter.

1 comment:

Ward said...

Where are you going to put the car on cinders blocks and the cast off refrigerators?