Monday, April 02, 2007

Still Working On The Yard +Bike Addendum

Nuke visited this weekend and helped me install plant bedding edging, fabric and bark chips. Took the trailer and picked up a pallet of bark chips. There’s 62 bags in a pallet. By my count, I’ve installed about 110 bags so far, 4 rolls of fabric and 120 feet of edging. I think I’ve got enough fabric, but I’ll need a lot more bark chips.

Rough tally so far is about $330 for the chips, $260 for the fabric, $135 for the edging, $25 for an edging tool (very handy) and a few bucks for miscellaneous stuff. That’s what - about $750 so far? Haven’t even bought any plants yet. Stuff adds up in a hurry.

We got the back yard around and under the deck done and a start on the side of the house. I’ll work on the side yard and the rest of the front after work each day this week. Got about a third of the side done tonight. I should be finished by Friday if I work at it steady.

Really does improve the looks of the house if I do say so myself.

I had to reset some clocks last Thursday, but not all of them. Figured it was a quick power blip. While working around the house meter, I noticed that a brand new digital radio broadcast meter had been installed (Nuke pointed out the FCC number). That explains the power blip.

Getting ready to watch the NCAA Championship Game – it should be a good one.

Tuesday Addendum

I forgot to tell about the bike.


Saturday for lunch, Nuke and I went over to Ray’s Supermarket. Ray’s is a combination gas station, grocery store, hardware store and butcher shop. They still run hand written accounts for folks who have cash flow difficulties – which is unfortunately the vast majority around Moncure.

Anyway, Ray’s was celebrating their 50th year in business Saturday. They brought in a couple of grill trailers and a pig cooker and had lunch available for ‘old time’ prices. Hot dogs or hamburgers for 55 cents. BBQ and what have you. All proceeds went to the local youth center.

Lots of people showed up. They planned to have stuff going on from 11 to 6 – but they were already running out of food by 2.

They were also selling raffle tickets for various stuff with the grand prize being a 15-speed street / mountain bike.

Nuke won the bike!

That’s great for Nuke since he lives in downtown Southport. He tells me he usually walks around town and only uses his car to go to his folks over in St. James Plantation. Now he can bike around town.

And Yeah - We did some work.

No comments: