Sunday, November 05, 2006

Weekend Update

It’s Sunday morning and I’ve got a cozy fire in the fireplace. Not really cold enough outside for a fire but, it’s a Sunday, so why not laze around.

Actually, I’m gradually tidying up the house and getting weekend chores done.

Slept in a bit since I didn’t get home till midnight from the game.

Football

State lost a close game to Georgia Tech last night. GT shut down State’s running game and their QB, running back, and wide receiver had career stats in their win. Still, State was in the game and leading in the second half.

Penalties and ineffective blocking for the running game kept our offence from moving the ball and scoring when we had the chance.

Highlight of the game was the nifty 95 yard kick off return TD by State on the very first play of the second half.

It was cold – below freezing I think by the 4th quarter. In fact, I was ready to scoot when GT scored the final touch down with about 6 minutes left – but the rest of the guys wanted to stay. State was down by 8 and it was still possible we could mount a comeback with the time remaining.

That’s the one great thing about this year’s team – it’s always possible that we’ll win even being behind late in the game.

I’m glad we stayed. The players deserve that at the very least. They played hard through to the end.

Unless the world ends, GT will be in the ACC Championship game. They’ll likely face Maryland or Wake Forest.

Check that – Wake Forest?!?

Yep, the Demon Deacons are my pick along with GT to be in the ACC Championship Game. Winner goes to the Orange Bowl. What a wacky ACC football season. Odds are GT will play in the Orange Bowl – but wouldn’t it be cool if Wake Forest got there?

State will have a losing season.

However, there’s a lot of talent on the squad; there won’t be that much loss due to graduation, and I honestly think that with the experience these kids are getting this year plus the fact that this season we’ve been right on the verge of of breaking out – that next year – State should be a force in the ACC.

This was the last home game for me this year. There is one final game Thanksgiving weekend but I’ll be on a cruise ship vacation so I’ve given away the 4 tickets to a friend at work. That game will be against ECU, which State has always had a heated rivalry. They should see an exciting and emotional game.

International Festival


Went to the International Festival earlier in the day. Had a good time but I wish I had been able to spend more time there watching the on stage performances. Dorton Arena was packed. In fact, it was too crowded to comfortably move around and get to see the exhibits and such.

There was also a model train fair going on at the State Fairgrounds (along with the usual huge flea market) so the whole grounds were packed and parking was difficult.

It would be nice if there could be one admission price to cover everything that was going on instead of having to pay a separate admission (and the standing in line for tickets) for each event.

BTW - check out the Festival posters on their web site. They're done by local artist Bob Rankin. I really like his work.

Movie

Between the International Festival and the game – went to see Flags of Our Fathers. Good movie – 3.5 stars. I hardly ever go to see movies in the theater anymore. I usually watch DVD’s so I was a little surprised that matinee prices are up to $6.50.

Also finished watching Tinker, Taylor, Soldier, Spy on DVD Friday night. It’s a BBC series produced in 1979 and is simply great - 4.5 stars. I don’t think the book could have been transformed to the screen any better than this.

Miscellaneous

I’ve installed the new versions of both Internet Explorer and Firefox. I like the new version of IE. Seems to be a bit cleaner – which is the best I can describe it.

FF 2.0 is a bit squirrelly and has a tendency to lock up. Sometimes when I close it out it doesn’t want to really quit and later when you try to open it up again – it claims that an earlier session is still running when it’s nowhere to be found.

I’d recommend waiting a month or 2 before upgrading either one to give the code geeks time to get the evident bugs worked out – which they will.

No comments: