Saturday, November 11, 2006

Veterans Day 2006




CPT

The Carnivore Preservation Trust (CPT) rescues large cats and provides a natural habitat for these abused animals to live out their lives. If you are ever in the Triangle area – you owe it to yourself to visit. They conduct weekend tours and your visit will be much more meaningful than a visit to a zoo.

Did you know that there are more large cats in captivity in the USA alone than exist in the wild in the entire world?

Went to a fundraising luncheon today held by the CPT. It was held at the Capital City Club located on the 21st floor of the Progress Energy Building.

A couple of observations: First, I thought that it would be a lot larger in terms of invitees. I figured with the CPT operating budget needs that they’d have invited, like, 300+ people. Instead there were fewer than 100 people there – and about one third to half were CPT workers / volunteers to cater to the invitees. Second, I think they mistook me for someone who has money.

Clues were the small number of invitees and the fact that the fund raising forms handed to us had places to fill out that started at $1000 per year pledge for 5 years and topped out at $10,000 per year for 5 years.

Yikes!

Considering that my rough estimate is that it costs the CPT well over a Million per year to operate, the requests were well within range – IF – the invitees were well heeled.

Good Lord, I’m nowhere near that category. I hope my small check helps.

I offered to give them my temporary roommate, JTN (aka JFC) as volunteer slave labor, but they declined.

I probably won’t get invited next year.


Vietnam Memorial

Next, we (JTN and I) picked up a friend and went to see the traveling Vietnam Memorial.

I could write a lot. But I think it’s appropriate to simply say that it is very dignified, moving and wonderful that this non-profit organization brings the memorial to those who don’t have the means or opportunity to visit the actual memorial in DC.

It will be suitably lighted tonight as they keep it open and staffed 24 hours a day till the closing ceremony (tomorrow at 1330}. I was told that they do that as there are many people who prefer to visit when it’s quiet and not very many people around.

Veterans Day

Thank you Dad - WW II.

Thank you Grandpapa - WW II, Korea, Vietnam.

Thank you Uncles A and O - WW II.

Thank you to JTN - Bosnia–Herzegovina, Kosovo, Iraq.

A sincere heart felt thank you to all active service men and women and Veterans.

A closing thank you to the friends and family of those who are currently serving or have served.

1 comment:

Ward said...

I did a Google search wondering if the exhibit would be coming to the Wilmington area. It doesn't but I learned there are at least three traveling exhibits/walls. One is 1/2 size, another is 3/4 size (I think this is the one you saw), and the third is 4/5 size.