Thursday, August 21, 2008

Dude, Where's My Truck?

I’ve been thinking about getting a riding lawn mower for a couple of years. When Nuke was here pretty much full time, it wasn’t a pressing issue as he cut the grass. Grass cutting was part of his ‘rent’. Now, he’s overseas 70% of the time and getting a mower is becoming more of a serious possibility.

I’ve been looking at what’s available.

Basically it comes down to something in the $900 to $1,500 range for a good solid lawn mower of the MTD / Honda range. Or going all out and getting a John Deer or Yazoo lawn tractor and spending upwards of $3,000 or more.

After reading reviews and commentaries – I’ve decided that with my, relatively speaking, small amount of grass – the less expensive lawn mower (vs. lawn tractor) will do just fine. Something in the 36 to 48 inch mower deck range.

The best thing to do is to look for sales and such and get one at the end of this summer season.

Another option I am looking at is a second hand mower.

I got on line last night and started looking at the on line classifieds and Craig’s list.

If I find something in the $200 - $400 range and under 5 years old – I’ll look at it. Possibly from moving sales and such. Any more $ and I’ll just pony up the extra and buy a new mower with warranty.

So – last night I found 3 that looked promising. I figured I’d look at them this weekend and if one of them jumped out as a great deal – I’d buy it.

Just as I was getting the phone to call to set up times to look at the mowers – I remembered – I DON”T HAVE MY TRUCK TO PULL MY TRAILER TO GET A MOWER!

My SUV is in NoVa at my sister and brother-in-law’s house. They drove it home when my brother’s truck broke down while they were here in NC.

Brother’s pick up truck is fixed but I don’t really have anyone to go with me to pick it up from the shop.

It might have the right size hitch for my trailer but it might not. I don’t know.

Frankly, I’d rather use MY truck to haul MY trailer for which I KNOW everything works and fits and the lights and brakes hook up, etc..

That’s why I have that stuff.

Sister and brother-in-law are coming down to return my SUV to me on the weekend of the NCSU – William and Mary football game – which is next month.

So, I can’t realistically buy a used lawn mower until then. So, no point in calling these people to look at what they have for sale.

Come to think of it – I can’t buy a new lawn mower either – unless I want to pay extra for delivery.

Grrrrrrrrrrr

Post Script Saga

Let's see - truck broke down in June.

Found a local mechanic.

Repairs are going to be a bit more extensive than initially thought. And by extensive - we mean expensive.

The game plan was to have the truck repaired and to make the SUV / Pick Up Truck switch when the sister and brother-in-law came down for Uncle Raymond's birthday party. Best laid plans of mice and men.

From June to the September football game - yeah - that works.

I just thought of something else. Sister and brother-in-law are driving down on Saturday the day of the game. They plan to get a hotel room in Raleigh so they can get an early Sunday morning start back to NoVa.

Which means I will have to somehow make arraignments to get the Pick Up Truck to meet them in Raleigh.

I'd already decided to mail the tickets to them so they can just meet me at the game as they are always late. Always.

Last time (last year) they met me for a game - my sister insisted that it become an 'event' with tailgating. Which I don't do. OK - Fine. She wants it special for them so I'll go along with it. Putting up with that every few years is OK.

So I went way the hell out of my way and put together a pretty nice spread - not just some crap from KFC. I'm talking about real plates, special morning trip to a local brewery for fresh brewed beer - home made bread and cookies - the works.

Naturally - the calls start a couple hours before they are supposed to meet me at the stadium. Late start, traffic, blah, blah, blah, yap, yap, yap.

They ALWAYS have an excuse.

Bottom line - missed the first half of the football game. First time in at least a decade that I've missed kick off!

So last night I emailed the sis to tell her I was mailing her the tickets so we can meet up at the seats. I said I wanted to get to the game early as there are going to be some events going on. Which is true. It will be military appreciation day and they'll have some displays along with an F-18 fly over before the game.

And, I vowed after last time never to rely on them to meet me at a game on time again.

Of course, LOL, she emails me back to suggest that since something is going on before the game - we could all meet up early for it.

Yeah right.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me - ahhhh no - not gonna happen.

Tickets go in the mailbox this weekend.

And I still won't have a riding lawn mower.

:-)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I recall being at the tailgate in time for the (delicious!) food and local brew...and in time for kick-off? What say you? :)
mike of reston

posts said...

That was the SECOND HALF kickoff.

Ward said...

As regards the mower...God is telling you something! This is a guy thing. You MUST get a riding mower. Not only that, it needs to have a front end loader attachment, backhole and snowplow (you never know).

Optional too is the ability to convert it to an ATV. It's a guy thing.