Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Raccoon Update

I'm not really sure what's going on with the raccoon(s).

Sunday evening and last evening (Monday), one of them showed up and ate a little dog food each night.

Last summer and through the winter I had up to 3 that would show up and eat. Usually it was a pair that travelled together and a 3rd one. They would scarf down every bit of food I put out and then rattle the screen door looking for more.

Lately, visits have been few and far between. They eat just a little and then take off.

I guess the drought last year made natural food rather scarce so they made a habit of eating at my place. This summer, the rains have returned and I'm guessing that they are feeding naturally.

I don't know if it's now just one raccoon that is eating a little and then taking off or if it's 2 or all 3 showing up at different times and days. I tend to think it's the same one because he / she generally shows up just at dusk - eats quickly - and then takes off. And it's wary of me, not scared, just cautious - same behaviour each time it sees me.

I'm still thinking it's a female and that she's eating quickly and hurrying back to her den and litter. At least I'm hoping for another year of little raccoons. They're pretty cute when they are small.

I also think that with the return of normal humid weather - there's abundant natural food and the dog food I put out is only a supplement.

We'll see.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Bill,

I hope they come back, possums are nasty creatures to have around, I think racoons make much better neighbors.

Fritz