Sunday, February 17, 2008

Tulips and Daffodils

Lazy Sunday afternoon. The Daytona 500 has just started and I’m watching that on the HD TV my nephew and niece gave me.

This morning I went into Pittsboro for breakfast, grocery store and Lowes. Got the flood lights changed and made some final adjustments to the motion detectors (using the ladder my nephew and niece gave me).

Danny the electrician came by and we fiddled with the hot tub. Had switches plugged into the wrong receptacle – got that squared away and the hot tub pumps are running and the water is heating up.

Hopefully the hot tub is finally fixed and working. I’ve missed having it.

Basketball

State played hard yesterday but lost in the final minute to Clemson. We’re now 4 and 7 in the conference. I don’t see us making the NCAAs this year.

Next game is Wednesday night against UNC. It sure would make me feel a whole lot better if we could beat them – but that’s just not gonna happen.

Tulips and Daffodils

While I was puttering around on the deck – I saw where the tulips are poking through in all 3 planter pots.

Seems a bit early – but I guess the plants know what they’re doing.

I planted the bulbs last fall and covered the soil first with chicken wire and then rock chips to keep the squirrels and raccoons from digging up and eating the bulbs.

They tried. You could see where they’d knock off a rock here and there – but I put enough on so the critters haven’t been able to dig through.

I wasn’t sure if I had put on too much rock and if the plants would be able to grow – but – sure enough – they’re coming through.

We’ll see how that turns out.

I planted the tulips and daffodils because I was tired of having to plant flowers each year. Plus – the deck faces directly south and if flowers are any sort of delicate – they die. Hopefully bulb flowers will do better.

No comments: