Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Say What?

2 weekends ago, I test drove rental return cars at Hertz Car Sales in Raleigh. I decided to get the Ford Focus (see earlier post). Per discussions with the sales person (Drew B) - it was decided that I would get the car this week (since I was / would be out of town all last week).

Saturday, Drew called, let me know that Hertz could offer me a discount coupon of $300 off the 10,995 price of the Ford Focus. They had silver, beige, and red cars available.

Great.

I need to come by after work to buy the car.

Drew works the day shift Monday - could I buy the car Tuesday when he'll be there after 5 PM?

Sure thing.

So, today (Tuesday) - I make sure that I've got enough in the checking account to buy the car (+ tags, taxes, etc.). Call my insurance agent to see about adding the new car to my coverage. No problem. I'm covered if I buy a car - even after hours - she enters the make, model, appx mileage, etcetera - just call her in the next few days with the VIN. In any event, I can drive the car home - I'll have insurance coverage.

After work - drive to Hertz Car Sales.

As soon as I walk in the doors (with check book in hand) - something is amiss.

There's no people there.

Guy come up (turns out - the sales manager) - can I help you?

Yes - I'm here to see Drew B to purchase a car.

Sorry - Hertz Car Sales is Out of Business.

What?

Yep - as of business day today - Hertz Car Sales is Out of Business.

They got the call late yesterday.

Hertz Car Sales nationwide is shut down. All employees fired except for a few to handle shutting down.

No - they can't sell me the car (But it's the Red one, Right There!!!!).

Nope, no liquidation sales, no honoring commitments - nada.

Out of Business.

The Sales Manager and 1 other guy were the only ones left to help shut down the building.

We sat down and talked for a little while.

Sales Manager said it was so sudden - a phone call. No warning. Nothing - just tell everybody they're no longer employed. His wife is very worried. etc.

Jeez - those poor folks.

Just like that. No warning, no opportunity to make a few sales of left inventory, no severance, no nothing.

You're unemployed. As of RIGHT NOW.

On the way home, I called Drew B to let him know that I appreciated his straightforward style. He was a great sales person. He represented his company with integrity.

Drew seemed appreciative of my condolences - but the bottom line is - it doesn't help him at all as far as a job / income is concerned. It's just words.

Damn.

He deserves way better.


Stopped by the Ford Dealership on the way home and picked up a brochures for the Ford Focus and the Ford Fusion.

I don't want to have to deal with trying to compare apples to oranges to find a different used / program vehicle. I hate dealing with that.

So - I guess I'm going to have to think about purchasing a new vehicle.

This is gonna cost me $ thousands more for a new car.

Or the fact that if I purchase a used Focus, I won't have the knowledge that it was well maintained like the Hertz program cars.

In fact - now that I think about it -

Hertz has dealt in BAD FAITH with me.

Not the sales person (Drew B) - he had honesty and integrity.

Hertz - by not honoring a verbal commitment - has dealt with me in VERY BAD FAITH.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What a shitty way to treat your employees.
DB