Thursday, March 30, 2006

A New Car - In Theory Anyway

Using the Ford website - I determined the car, with invoice prices, I want to purchase.

Via email and phone (Sanford Ford) - worked with the sales person (Sheila C) to find the car / color / options in stock in the region.

We worked from the invoice prices and added a profit of $500.

SC found the exact car / configuration (almost) at another dealership in the region (NC / SC / VA).

Ford Focus - SES - 4 door, Liquid Grey, with Safety Package (ABS and door airbags) and moonroof.

Unfortunately it has the 6 CD changer option, which I don't want - but - there seem to be no Focuses available regionally with the hole in the roof (moon roof) without the 6 CD changer. CD changer adds $348 (invoice) to the price. What a waste of money.

Oh well, What the hell.

Since it's late (after 8 PM) - she will have to confirm the transfer of the car from the other dealership in the morning.

But - in theory - I've bought the car.

She'll call me in the AM. No problem, 7:30 is not too early. Early? I'm at my office at 7 AM!

While I'm spending more $ than the plain Jane used Focus I was going to buy from Hertz - I will get the moonroof and, far more importantly, the Safety Package which has the ABS and airbags in the passenger doors.

The real selling point is that Ford is offering a $3000 rebate on the Focus through this weekend.

That covers about half the difference in price from the 2006 new car compared to the price of the 2005 used Hertz car.

This will only be the second New car I've ever purchased in my life. The first was a 1987 Taurus.

I hope this happens.


On the other hand - if it doesn't . . . . . . . . .

My dream car has always been a 5 Series BMW

PS - Article in today's News and Observer

Article about Hertz Car Sales closing - locally and nationwide.

No comments: