Sunday, March 19, 2006

Commuter Car

The air conditioner on my Contour has suffered a massive coronary. The compressor is shot. Replacing it would also require replacing all the other AC components as well. The repair would cost more than the value of the car.

It's too bad. The car drives and runs great even with 170K miles. But, in the hot and humid south - I have to have AC.

Yesterday I went to Hertz Car Sales here in Raleigh.

I test drove a Ford Focus, Ford Mustang, Toyota, Pontiac Grand Am and a Honda.

I was already decided to treat myself to a Mustang. As my friends have told me - don't be totally practical - get something I'll enjoy. So, going in, the Mustang was it.

Until I drove one.

The Mustang drives fine and looks great on the outside. But the interior configuration made me change my mind. The Mustang is claustrophobic, poor instrument layout (it's actually difficult to see the instruments - get in one - you'll see what I mean), difficult entry and exit. And the finish materials give it a 'cheap' feel. I was very disappointed as I really had my mind set on one.

The Toyota, Pontiac and Honda were all fine. The Pontiac, with a 6 cyl engine was the best buy of these three.

The Ford Focus is the overall winner. Great interior design. Felt very solid and the fit and finish were well above what one would expect in such an inexpensive car. Handling was surprisingly sporty. The car is slightly under powered. But, I guess that fits in the overall design as an economical car. Overall - it's the clear choice.

Hertz only sells rental fleet cars with a set no haggle price (trade ins are sent to auction). So, I'm ready to buy, and guess what? The salesman asks me if I can wait a couple of weeks. Well, sure, but why? He said that towards the end of each quarter - Hertz often allows additional incentives to move inventory. So - he's going to call me in the next couple of weeks if that happens. I might save a few hundred dollars. If not - I'll still get the Focus - just at the end of March instead of now.

This will be the second vehicle I've bought from Hertz in Raleigh. Plus - I sent my nephew and his wife there when they needed a car. I highly recommend them.

Ask for Drew.

No comments: