Saturday, December 24, 2005

So - What's With the Tree?


CH, MH and my toes on Christmas Eve morning. Just before getting up and going to my niece and nephews for breakfast and gift exchange. Soon after this photo was taken, we were up and off. Had a great time at the DiD's. The kids, 2.5 and 4, are at the age where they're not exactly sure what's going on - but they are positive they like it. Toys, toys and more toys.

CA and BA left for their drive to W VA. It's about a six hour drive to BA's family.

I found out that the gift I (via BA) got for CM was not given to her at Thanksgiving but was unwrapped this morning. CM and CM (hey, CM squared!) called from Chicago during the gift thing. CM the pilot has duty today but will catch a ride late tonight to W VA. CM the wife will catch a standby flight to W VA whenever there's an opening today.

We're back at the house where everyone is kind of zonked out and taking naps. I'll be doing the same soon, although I can hear EIH (4 yo) and her grandmother, MH, doing something together upstairs.


So - What's With the Tree?

Shortly after I graduated from NCSU, I bought a scraggly little ficus at the NC State Farmer's Market. It was probably no more than 2 feet tall and, frankly, I didn't think it would last very long. That was more than 25 years ago.

The tree not only survived but flourished. I kept it for as long as I could but it finally got too big for my house, even with vaulted ceilings. Plus, it was just too darn big for anyplace at my house.

So, 2 years ago, I rented a van and brought it up to MH and CH. This is the perfect spot for it and it's done very well with all the windows and space. CH trims it carefully and repotted it. My guess is that it's about 12 to 14 feet tall now. You actually walk under it to go to the master bedroom, where the beginning photo was taken.

If the H's ever move, I don't think the tree can go with them. It's just too darn big and heavy now. It'll have to convey with the house. It kind of belongs here anyway.

I took this photo standing on the stairs leading up to the landing where the tree is located. They used to put tables or other items on the landing but nothing seemed just right. When the tree got here - BINGO!

I hope it lives a long long time.

1 comment:

portazgofs said...

Nice blog. Congratulations!!!!
Greetings from Zaragoza, Spain where your blog where visited from.
Hope you also like mine (portazgofs.blogspot.com)
If you want to try with spanish language,... never is too late.