Saturday, December 17, 2005

Saturday Morning, 12/17


I spent the week working in the field. Monday through Thursday was the usual routine inspection of state owned buildings in the north central part of the state. Got home Thursday evening. Friday, up early to go on a Beneficial Use inspection of a refurbished with new addition building at UNCP.

This photo is a stable and barn complex located on an agricultural Research Station in Rockingham County, near the NC / VA border. It has been restored and, as of this summer, is now used for a Farmer's Market.

Most places I inspect are utilitarian buildings such as DOT garages, storage buildings, small office buildings (DMV license offices for example), and the like. But, every once in a while, there is something to inspect that is really cool, such as this barn / stable - now Farmer's Market. A lot of the restoration work was done by minimum custody inmates. It's nice to see old structures put to new uses. If you're ever in the area on a summer weekend, I think it would be well worth the side trip. The Rockingham Farmer's Market is adjacent to Chinqua-Penn Plantation.

While you're in the area, visit Hanging Rock State Park (below).


Thursday morning, when these photos were taken, there was a light to moderate ice storm. Not a problem as long as you drive carefully.

Leaving shortly to get last minute Christmas shopping done. I also have to address and mail Christmas cards which I didn't get done last weekend when I was under the weather.

Working out of the office distorts my perception of time. For example, I have to think about the fact that Christmas is next weekend rather than intuitively knowing that Christmas is next Sunday. Preparations, such as cards and gifts have to be planned and time allotted. And, being out of town, I can't take care of things during the week. It all piles up and has to be hit hard on the weekend.

Tomorrow is the first NCSU ACC basketball game of the season against Miami. Even though I'm a big NCSU sports nut, the time distortion leaves me clueless about what time the game starts.

Plus, I always feel like I'm forgetting something.

Or maybe it's just that I'm getting older?

Mind like a steel sieve.


Addendum - 14:00

Got it all done. In 3 hours no less! Traffic and crowds weren't anywhere near what I expected.

Dropped off dry cleaning. Then Toys-R-Us for the niece and nephews. Nothing in mind at TRU. Went in cold and found a great gift (same) for EI-H and ADD.

Criteria - Something the kiddies will actually like and play with (as opposed to what adults think would be a suitable gift). Toy tools with tool box to keep the tools organized and stored. Plus - the pipe wrench and socket wrench handle are long and lightweight; thus suitable for small 3 and 4 year olds to wield as 'whacking' implements! Screw drivers can work well to poke out eyes.

LOL

Actually, I think they're pretty cool toys. As soon as I saw them, I thought "yes - that's it". No microchips, no batteries, no speakers. Just simple toys for the imagination.

Will pick up a couple of one piece baby suits for WDDD next week at the NCSU bookstore.

Went to a wine store to purchase a very good bottle for our office secretary and to Home Depot for a hummingbird feeder for our receptionist.

Also, purchased gift bags for all items.

Portability is an issue since I'm flying to NoVa for Christmas. Usually I use a backpack for quick trips to NoVa (overhead compartment). In fact, the same backpack from my college days (Jansen- still sturdy after all these 20 years!). I'll have to use a suitcase to carry the presents this trip and check it into baggage.

Our family does a name exchange for gifts. I drew my niece, CAM, this year. CAM and her "still almost new" airline pilot hubby are in the 'setting up household' phase. Her mom, BNA (my sister-in-law) purchased additional place settings (two? three?) from CAM's bridal registry for me. BNA is really great about knowing what family members need or want. Plus, BNA is an astute shopper. She utilized coupons along with sales to maximize "my gift" for CAM. So, that gift has already been purchased and presented to CAM and cool hubby CM, I think, during Thanksgiving. I'll find out this coming weekend.

Grocery store on the way home. Pork chops (lean cuts and on sale), potato salad, garlic bread (also on sale) and baby spinach salad for dinner.

As I pulled into the garage, JN (roomie) was gathering up trash and recycling. While JN went on the recycling run, I cleaned up the kitchen, did some vacuuming, and started doing laundry.

Just finished doing some house cleaning and outdoor (porch and deck) cleaning. FYI - electric leaf blower is not strong enough to blow .45 shell casings off the deck. Just moves them around.

I have a 3-photo frame and a 1-photo frame that I got a couple weeks ago to mount photo's I took at WDD's Christening. The 3-photo frame is for photos for WDD's parental units and the single frame is for a photo for WDD's La Jolla CA grandparent units.

However, I've had to replace my wireless modem / router in the interim and the wireless photo quality printer (HP) requires an initial hard wire connection to set up communication with the router.

Also, due to storage limitations, DH has migrated my email from the family server to google mail. I want to set up my email / office interface to work with the gmail account.

As an analog person, I screw up computer interfaces. Oh well, into the breach anyway.


Let's see, what else?

Last night JN and I watched Second Hand Lions. Kind of a high quality "After School Special" movie. Right movie for the evening - light and funny. For those who live in the country, NetFlix is the way to go.

Called nephew and niece (ADH / MIH) multiple times this morning hoping to hook up with them while I was in Cary / Raleigh but no answer as usual. Were they still sleeping, out of town, doing errands, or TBF? Who knows?

As I'm finishing this entry, JN has descended from on high horse (and physically his room / space / apartment) - built a fire in the fireplace and plugged into the stereo (via laptop / Rhapsody / RadioParadise).

Movie on deck for tonight is The Station Agent.

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I saw Secondhand Lions last year when Iwas visiting NY. It was cold, windy and snowy. We popped in the DVD and I lay in front of a roaring fire. A perfect movie for the occasion. I enjoyed it immensely.