Friday, December 09, 2005

It's A Drive From Here

The Greater Moncure Metro Area is about 25 miles south-west of downtown Raleigh and about 35 miles north-west of Fayetteville / Fort Bragg.

My commute into Raleigh takes 45 minutes.

My friend, JN, is a sergeant in the 82nd Airborne Division - Ft. Bragg.

JN owns a house in Durham, but his commute from there to Ft. Bragg would be a minimum of 2 and 1/2 hours. Therefore, JN has established staging quarters in the bonus room over the garage at my house. From my house to Ft. Bragg takes JN a little over an hour. Mostly due to all the traffic lights through Sanford and Spring Lake.

Today, my work schedule took me to Spring Lake which is immediately adjacent to Ft. Bragg. Which was serendipitous for the following events.

Last night, JN called about 20:00 hours (8 PM). After release from duty, his car overheated and despite his best efforts, he was stranded. Would it be possible for me to pick him up? And, more importantly, since I have to essentially be at Ft. Bragg the next day (today), would it work out to give him a ride to work in the morning?

To keep events in perspective, JN would easily spend the evening crashing at a barracks. But if, and only if, it's not a problem, he'd appreciate a ride home and to work.

Skipping all the boring detail, I drove down to Ft. Bragg and collected the sergeant. Of course, JN had to report for duty this morning at 0600. So, my alarm was set for 04:00 and we headed out the door at 04:30.

After dropping off JN at 05:45, I went and got breakfast and killed time until 08:00. I had set up my meeting for my work at 10:00 but I called and it turned out that it worked better for all if I did indeed show up at 08:00. I finished my field work by 11:30 and called JN to see if he needed assistance getting his car to a repair shop. It didn't take too long to get his car to a garage for repairs. Afterwards, JN, I, and another soldier had lunch at McKellar's Lodge on base.

Since JN's car would not be fixed today, JN needed a ride home after duty. After lunch, I started out to a local library to work on some paperwork that I had brought with me. But, JN calls very soon after lunch. He can leave post then (13:00) instead of the usual 17:00 or 18:00 hours.

On the way home, the repair shop calls JN. Bad News. The upper intake manifold on his car needs replacing along with other items. The repairs are going to cost JN $750! No choice - fix it. Gotta have transportation.

Anyway, we got home about 15:00. JN went upstairs to his room to figure out his finances and to do other work. I worked on office paperwork in the living room.

About 18:00 (6 PM) JN came downstairs, started a fire in the fireplace, and through mutual discussion it's decided that I should have a live fire lesson with the H&K .45.

We've just come in from the back yard after spending a few rounds. The fireplace has the living room nice and warm and there's great music on the stereo courtesy of RadioParadise and Rhapsody.

This weekend we'll figure out the logistics of transportation. JN has duty Sunday and I leave early Monday morning (05:00) for out of town work through Thursday. Lot's of travel involved next week. I'll be in a different hotel room each night. Plus, I've got a family reunion to attend Saturday evening, household chores, Christmas shopping, Christmas Cards to address and sign, additional paperwork preparation for next week's work trip, and I want to get a package put together for http://anysoldier.com/.

I guess the bottom line is this -

If you want to live in the country - you have to be amenable with dealing with the day to day curves that come your way. There is no such thing as a quick trip to work, the store, gas station, or, frankly anything. And the unexpected (such as a car breakdown) adds a whole 'nother dimension.

But - just step outside.

It's a clear, cold, crisp evening.

My God!

There are a billion stars in the sky.

No comments: