Monday, January 31, 2011

Excellent Service Call


Bryan of Rapid Spa Repair (no website) arrived right on time at 1000. He very patiently explained what he was doing and showed me a number of maintenance tasks I can (and should) perform myself.

First off, he told me that yes – Thermospas are worth their high price. The quality of the tubs and enclosures are far better than spas you can buy locally (Thermospa custom builds each spa to customer specifications and ships direct from the factory). And the components (pumps, jets, controls, etc.) are the best / highest quality in the industry. He said that Termospas really are the Mercedes-Benz of hot tubs.

Two lower jets were replaced – they had clogged with debris and build up over time and that’s why they didn’t function. Simple low cost jets – easier to replace than to try to clean.

The leak? I’m embarrassed to say it was so simple I should have seen it myself.

Fittings (black) Were Loose

Over time, fittings that are screwed on simply became loose.

The fitting at the inlet end of the heater was just a tiny bit loose. When the pump was on – suction would seal the fitting. When the pump was off – sometimes the joint would leak, sometimes not. That’s how little the threaded fitting had worked itself loose. From now on I need to hand tighten all the fittings about once a year.

The main control valve in the foot well controls the distribution / pressure of water around the tub. A very small amount of sand / grit had gotten trapped and I couldn’t turn the valve. Bryan showed me how to take out the round handle, remove the valve retainer clip (there's a trick to it) – remove the valve – clean it and reinstall it.

Plus, I should rotate the valve every couple of months which diverts full power to either side of the tub (distributes to both sides in normal use). The additional force of water will blow out / clean out any tiny debris that gets trapped.

Bryan also installed a simple air release valve (a one dollar part) and some tubing to an available port on the pump. By putting that valve in – whenever I drain the tub completely – the valve will vent / release air from the system.

Previously, whenever I drained the tub to change the water – after filling the tub back up – it always resulted in an air lock. I had to take the side panels off to get to a spigot to release the air.

This little valve worked perfectly when we filled the tub back up. Why the *&C% Thermospa (or other manufacturers) don’t install this at the factory is astounding.

He also told me that I could replace the foot well light with an LED bulb.

The LED bulb has four colors and works with the existing switch on the control panel to change the color. It can also be set to rotate between the colors each time you turn the light on or can be set to change colors gradually while it is on.

The LED is controlled by simply turning it on and off (within 30 seconds) to rotate through the different settings. If there is a setting I want it to stay on – simply leave it on for more than 30 seconds and it will keep the last setting in memory when I turn it off.

The LED cost around $25 and he charges $75 to put them in. But he told me where to purchase it and told me how to disassemble the light housing to install it. It’s much larger (diameter) than a regular bulb so it can’t be just plugged in – you have to remove the housing – install it from the front – and then reinstall the housing. In addition to the colors, since it’s LED, it should last a lifetime and never need replacing.

What an excellent service call. The tub is back to operating just like new. Actually better than new as he trimmed some tabs on the main valve so it is less likely to get stuck from debris and installed the automatic air release valve.

And, he gave me a great education in maintenance and service. That alone was worth the cost of the service visit.

If you live in central North Carolina and need a fantastic hot tub service guy - call Bryan at Rapid Spa Repair: 919-630-2389.

No comments: