Wednesday, October 12, 2016

NC State 2 - ND 0

Upper Left



The game should have been called off.

It didn't need to be rescheduled for this season either. We play @ Notre Dame next year - ND could have been rescheduled to play @ NC State the following year.

It was risky for fans to travel to the game. Of the 60,000 tickets sold - the estimate is 30,000 came to the game. After halftime and the lightening delay - I'd say half came back in - about 15,000.

It seemed as if a lot of calls went against State. A touchdown called back (technically correct - but a pedantic flag).

During the third - State had the ball 11 minutes - ND 4. And yet, the only score was ND tieing the game with a field goal.

With the delay, the weather and the frustrating third quarter- It became an emotional fourth quarter.

During Notre Dame's last drive, it seemed as if every ball placement was generous to ND and converted (by inches) 4th downs. The crowd, as small as it was, was livid and very vocal. They (we) were LOUD. I was surprised by just how loud. And we finally stopped ND on fourth down near the goal line.

I guess by the fourth quarter - those of us who were there were beyond miserable due to the Hurricane. We were 'all in' - and when the game was over - nobody rushed to leave. Instead, everyone stayed to cheer the team and celebrate. In the height of Hurricane Matthew.

This storyboard put together by NC State tells it better than I can - https://spark.adobe.com/page/RXhnkKne0OuKO/

The Defense played a great, total game. Like I expected them to play from the start of the season. It should not have taken until games 4 and 5 to get there. Because of that - I'm still disappointed with our DC.

After all the excitement - State is still likely to go 6 and 6 and squeak into a Bowl Game.

Next up @ Clemson. Noon. ABC. Yikes!

Notable NC State Football Games

These are Notable Games NC State has played since I was in school -

Loss to Penn State on a 51 yard field goal with no time left. I was there along with Boseman. Was still in school.



Defensive penalty on South Carolina with 0 time left - results in one last NC State play - a Hail Mary pass from Erik Kramer caught by Danny Peebles in the end zone. I was there.

Both losses to ECU - in Raleigh - where those jackasses tore down State's goal posts and started riots on the field. I was there both times to see ECU's trailer trash behaviour. Brother-in-law and nephew were at the second one.

Hurricane Fran game (vs. Georgia Tech I think). Loss played Saturday after Hurricane Fran came through Thursday night / Friday morning. CP&L got the power on at Carter-Finley so the game could be played and folks could get out of their powerless homes and catch a break from all the damage and clean up. I was there. Chip, I think, was with me.



Loss at Carolina - TA McClendon ruled down inches from the goal line as time runs out . I was there (along with Chip). Yes - at Carolina. Boseman sent me tickets - I think he got them from the Nike sales rep or someone like that.

Not only there - Chip and I were about 6 rows from the field - end zone side - just past the goal line - right where the runs occurred.

He was IN. The 'knee down' call was bullshit. There's no way the other ref (who was further away) could have seen that in the crowd of guys. Especially since the ref who was right there signaled a touchdown.

Chip and I were the NC State fans closest to the play regardless what any bragging lying bozo says - "who was there" - NOT (besides maybe 5 or 6 other State fans nearby in our section; and the coaches and players on the sideline).

First NC State win over Florida State. I was there. Ed Mussler from work went with me.



Prime Time "College Football Lives Here" come-from-behind upset over Florida State. I was there. Chip and Jason and - Erica?

Amato cried.


2003 Gater Bowl - win over Notre Dame. I was there. Along with sister, brother-in-law; brother and sister-in-law. The game was not as close as the score indicates.

Triple overtime loss at Ohio State. I was there. Along with sister and brother-in-law and Chip. Think we have 'big time' football at State? Brother - go to an Ohio State game. It's a whole 'nother level of college football.


And now the Notre Dame win - played during Hurricane Matthew. Well, tropical storm conditions in Raleigh. Hurricane along the coast. Chip, Jason and Erica.

Electricity

Power was out when we got home. Went out around 10:45 AM after we had left for the game. Lines and poles down along Deep River Road. No power through Sunday. Got a lot read.

The trucks were rolling in as I was leaving for work Monday morning. Power was restored around noon Monday. About 50 hours. Not too bad considering about a Million people in NC lost power.

The power guys have a hard, non-stop, job after a storm. Hat's off and a hearty thanks to them.


No comments: