Tuesday, September 07, 2010

HVAC is Fine

My regular HVAC guy came by today (Pete's Heating and Air Conditioning - Sanford).

To recap - the 72Degrees guy told me I had an electrical house wiring problem. He disconnected the heat pump because he said he was afraid of it causing a fire. Other than that - he had no idea what the problem was. Recommended that my HVAC heat pump be replaced ($ thousands). But first, he said I needed to get an electrician to check out the 'problem' with the house wiring.

He also said the HVAC components under the house were suspect - or rather, quote "I checked under the house - it's a mess down there". Whatever that means.

Oh - and their office called Monday to 'follow up' on my needing a new heat pump. I told them I wanted to have my regular guy look at it first before I committed to spending a lot of $ to replace the system.

First, my regular HVAC guy had to hook back up all the wires the 72Degrees guy left undone.

Once wired back up - a device or relay or something needed to be reset. Refrigerant levels checked out and OK.

Started up the unit - everything is fine.

My guy spent extra time double checking the wiring and such, including double checking things under the house (heat exchanger, etc.). Everything checked out OK. House wiring is fine.

Scroll units (like mine) have fewer parts than traditional compressors and thus are supposed to last longer and are more energy efficient.

Per my guy, my unit has at least another 5 years to go - maybe even 10.

No comments: