Sunday, April 18, 2010

Hay Street

 

 

 
Worked at Fayetteville State University last week. FSU has a very nice compact campus and it’s well maintained.

Drove around town after work one evening. It’s amazing how much has changed and yet stayed the same.

Downtown has changed the most. When I was growing up there, Hay Street was the main commercial area. Once Cross Creek Mall opened (I was in high school) – Hay Street pretty much died. All the stores and shops closed. The only things left were strip bars and low rent clothing stores.

Hay Street has been completely renovated – very much like Fayetteville Street in downtown Raleigh. I counted 12 different restaurants. My co-worker and I ate lunch at this one, The Fresh Cafe:

 
I had a chilled split pea and white wine soup and veggie quiche and triple chocolate cheesecake for dessert. It was great.

There are now condos, townhouses and a number of shops including a couple of spas. I also saw a yoga place.

I took a number of photos to send to my sister. If you're interested, click on Bill's Online Photos.

The recession has hurt it – but not completely. I saw several places that were being up fitted for opening. I think the Hay Street revitalization and surrounding area is going to be a pretty vibrant place in a couple of years.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: