Sunday, March 15, 2009

Up and Running

 

 
Laptop

Seems I've finally got my new laptop up and running the way I want it.

Had the usual networking issues with the wireless modem / router.

It took awhile to get all my bookmarks, email, photos, videos and files transferred over. And I've installed some software I use - such as Picassa, Google Chat and some other stuff. There were a few missteps - but it's finally all set up and running.

Oh, one other thing - did I mention the registry edit?

The roomie kept bitching that my new laptop was kicking all the other machines (i.e. his) off the local (house wireless) network. BS I said - you (the roomie) have just got too much crap running on the net and are overloading it. There is no way Darth Vader and Dell would ship a laptop that would do something like that.

Guess what? There IS a bug / kink / whatever in Vista that will indeed screw around with some wireless modem routers and will interfere with other devices.

After doing some google searching - I found this:

http://en.kioskea.net/forum/affich-45038-internet-disconnects-when-2nd-user-is-on

After a little more searching, I found the official Microsoft fix:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/928233

So, along with the usual and mundane file copying and transferring stuff, I had to edit the registry. Which is very scary for an analog person like me.

Heck, doing a regedit should be scary for anybody.

HP 7760 Printer

I also hooked up a printer my sister / brother-in-law gave me. It was second hand and thus didn't come with any driver software. Not that it would have mattered. I had to download the software to make it run with Vista anyway.

I kept thinking something was wrong with the set up. It wouldn't print right. Then it finally dawned on me - the print cartridges were at least 2 years old and basically dried out. Duh.

Bought 4 new cartridges (tri-color, black, photo-grey and 6-color photo)- put 'em in - and voila!

It's much better than my old HP printer. The old one was one of the first wireless photo printers. As always with first adaptor technology - it's been hard to set up and keep running. Always security issues, ports and such.

This new printer is very easy to operate and works seamlessly with Picassa and my new laptop.

Raccoons

My mama raccoon showed up last week! Haven't seen her in almost 3 months.

I'm sure it's the same one because of her behaviour patterns. She's probably been in her seasonal semi-hibernation.

Good to have her back. Hopefully she'll have a healthy litter this year and bring them around when the time comes.

Plus - the almost albino possum is still in the neighbourhood.

They'll have to sort out who eats at the food bowl amongst themselves.

Basketball

State has had a mediocre to dismal season - once again. I hope Coach Lowe can turn it around. I really want him to succeed. Next year is year four. Time to get it done.



I really enjoy this time of year. I think I enjoy watching the NCAA Tournament better just about anything.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, not even the NIT. Even Nebraska made it there.

Hmmm, where did Arizona State end up . . . . ?

Back from Australia, heading back down to my unit tonight.