Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Raccoon Redux

Raccoons are back for sure. Plural.

Last night I recognized one of last year's offspring. The one with all white ears. And then - another one showed up that I didn't recognize but which has some rather distinctive face and eye markings. The new one ran off white ears from the food bowl.

And neither of them is the one that has been showing up for the past week or so. I think that one is the mother raccoon from last year.

So, looks like there's a pretty good crop of raccoons that are getting active.

The food bowl has been routinely emptied by 9 or 10 PM when I go to bed.

I've been woken up later each night for the last 3 nights with noises from the deck. Usually around 1 or 2 in the morning. Chairs being climbed on, pushed around, something knocking around at the water bowl.

From past experience - it's raccoons hanging around and exploring. They tend to explore a lot and try stuff out - like trying to open the screen doors and doing a lot of climbing on things.

Feral cats don't make any noise at all on the deck. Neither do possums.

I'll try and take some photos.

No comments: