Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Thanks Bev

Long before first class entertainment became the norm in Raleigh, NCSU used to host the Friends of the College series. This was back in the 1970’s and ‘80’s. About 7 or 8 shows and events each year staged in Reynolds Coliseum.

Mom and Dad were subscribers and as I was going to school at State – I got to see a lot of cool stuff.

One of the events was Beverly Sills.

I’ve said before, Opera isn’t my cup of tea. But I certainly appreciate a great voice.

To this day I still vividly recall her performance. I had never heard such an awesome voice before in my life.

Wow – that broad could sure belt out a tune.

Thanks Bev for sharing your talent with us.

The Black Watch

While on the subject - One of the other great performances I got to see was the Band of the The Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment). Quite an awesome military band.

I got to see them on 2 different occassions via The Friends of the College. Good friends of my parents, Col. Ray Kinshada and his wife, often came up to FOTC shows. I recall Ray and his wife made it a point to come up and see the Black Watch each time.

Allison

You can really get attached to pets.

AHCBT, Allison the House Cat with the Broken Tail, was my friend CK’s pet for many many years. She was being treated for failing kidneys but didn’t make it.

She had been with him through many ups and downs. Different jobs and homes and such. She even outlasted CK’s almost marriage.

I’m sure he will miss her.

Fourth of July

I’ve just arrived in Southport to visit Nuke (aka JFC) today and tomorrow.

Southport hosts the official NC Fourth of July Festival. It’s a huge event for such a small town. The estimate is that 40,000 or more will be on hand tomorrow. There’s stuff been going on since Saturday. The main events start this afternoon.

We’ll probably be headed the few blocks down to the waterfront in a few.

No comments: