Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Southport 4th of July


I woke up early as usual; 0600 – drove over to a nearby restaurant - had breakfast and read the paper. Stopped by Port City Java on the way back to get a foo foo coffee. Just in time too. The police were clearing the main street for the parade. I got my coffee just as my truck was being eyeballed by the tow truck guys.

The parade started at 1100 and lasted about an hour and a half. Typical small town floats and such. I was surprised there was only one true marching band. I guess that since its summer, schools are out and therefore the kids aren’t readily available.

The local US Congressional delegation marched in the parade.


Not to be outdone – the NC General Assembly participated in the parade as well.


Walked around a bit and saw some of the exhibits.

Came back to Nuke’s apartment and took a nap for a couple hours.

Later we went out for dinner. Then walked down to the waterfront to listen to the bands and watch the fireworks.

Just got back. I'm sitting in the back yard doing this entry, listening to folks shoot off fireworks and watching the traffic on the streets around here not moving an inch.

A good full and fun day.

Heading back to Raleigh first thing in the morning. Going straight to the office. Should be about a 2.5 hour drive.

Happy 4th of July, folks.

No comments: