Tuesday, May 15, 2007

Adaptability +Addendum



I have 2 raccoons and a possum that I put out dog food for. I don’t feed them everyday. Usually only 3 times a week. I don’t want them to become dependent on the handouts.

The 2 raccoons have been showing up more or less at the same time at night – usually around 9 PM or so. They fight over the food. The larger one always wins and gets to eat first. Leftovers to the small one.

They may look cute – but when they fight – it’s pretty serious. Fur flying and everything. The ‘cute’ factor goes out the door in an instant.

Recently though, the larger raccoon has started showing up during daylight. I just took these photos a little before 6 PM. The larger, and I assume older, raccoon has figured out that it’s easier to come early and eat without the hassle of a fight.

Also, she seems to becoming less wary of me around the house. She still pulls back and keeps an eye on me if I walk by or to the door – but she no longer takes off.

The possum doesn’t run either – but that’s because it’s as dumb as a door knob.

I don’t want the raccoons to get too used to me. So I try to stay away from the door when they’re eating.

Wednesday Morning Addendum

The little raccoon showed up on schedule around 9 PM. After she ate and left, I put a little more food in the bowl. This morning, the bowl was empty. I figure the possum came by later.

No comments: