Saturday, February 10, 2007

Kind of Sad Actually

I despise 'reality' TV. Not from an intellectually superior - I'm above all that perspective. Reality TV honestly bores the heck out of me. When channel surfing I'll absorb small doses. But when people talk about celebrities or worse yet, send me emails with news links about some idiot drunken self-absorbed twit - I feel as though my time has not only been wasted in chasing the link but that a small piece of my life has been robbed from me that Ill never get back.

There is one show that when I stumble across it, I always stop to watch - The Soup on the E! cable network. It's a clip and rip show making fun of reality TV. Hilarious.

I did used to watch the Anna Nicole Smith Show. My nephew, ADH got me to watch it. As he put it - "It's like a train wreck you just can't turn away from watching".

I eventually got to where, I won't say I liked Anna Nicole Smith, but I felt kind of concerned for her. The groupie user faux friends that surrounded her and all the idiotic drama queen stuff made me wonder if she was super smart to play up that angle for the TV show - or was she really that sad and couldn't see though all the falseness and realize how she was being used? Kind of a 'little girl lost' response.

The upshot is, I felt kind of sad actually when I heard that she died this week. Normally I would feel some smug satisfaction when a self-indulgent loser 'gets what's coming to them' - but not in this case. My immediate response kind of surprised me.

Cruise

Heading out Sunday for a cruise to the Western Caribbean. Stops include Mexico, Belize and Guatemala. It's our annual winter cruise the family and I go on. The roomie JN and good friend DB are going with us.

Talked JN into going on his very first cruise last Fall. He was reluctant at first as he just couldn't see what all the big deal was about - possibly boring with a bunch of people just laying about and shopping - not that big on eating rich foods - I'm not going to wear a farking suit for dinner - etc. - the usual stuff.

When I asked him towards the end of the trip how he had liked it - he said - and I quote: "I'm not getting off the ship". LOL

This trip - he's already packed. I'm looking at his bags lined up here in the living room - ready to go - as I type this entry. His suit is hanging on the closet door for me to put into my garment bag.

I'll pack later today. Our flight leaves Sunday morning - 1100.

As one of my co-workers who also takes his family on an annual cruise puts it - "If you can't have fun on a cruise, then you just can't have fun anywhere".

That same co-worker is one of my live and die with the WolfPack buddies - so he's taking his son Clayton to the State-Maryland game while I'm gone. The other game I'll miss is Virgina Tech - State which JN's Dad and brother-in-law are going to.

The farking ship better have ESPN. And not the South America futbol feed either!

Go WolfPack!

1 comment:

darling said...

Hope the trip goes well and that you come back nicely tanned and very relaxed :)