Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Tuesday 10/24/06 +Addendum lol

Art

Went to the Sanford Art Show Saturday morning. When we got there, the people seemed a bit disorganized: display cases were outside being cleaned, lots of workers going around straightening things up, etc.

I went on inside and perused the paintings. Oddly enough, there were lots of people cleaning off the paintings and such. I was thinking, geez, these folks aren’t very organized.

Turns out vandals had broken in Friday night and discharged all the fire extinguishers and overturned items such as vending machines and the like. Fortunately, the art wasn’t really harmed – but the weekend show was cancelled. Since I dress, and look like a slob – maybe they thought I was a cleaning person and therefore didn’t stop me from going in.

There was some really good stuff there. Granted, most of the art was well done but clearly amateur. But – there were quite a few pieces that were simply outstanding.

They will be open again this Saturday so I’ll go back.

http://www.sanfordartists.com/

Football

NC State lost to Maryland. What a bummer. Watching the game on TV, it was clear that State has the better squad but dumb mistakes and penalties cost us the game. Of course, you have to give credit to Maryland (and Wake Forest the week before) for taking advantage of the opportunities that State gave them.

Next up – Virginia.

Aerosmith

Went to the Aerosmith concert at Alltel Pavilion last night. They really know how to put on a show. Really good concert. They started out with some early stuff and heavy on their blues roots. I can’t remember the last time I heard Toys in the Attic or Walking the Dog.

Got lawn seating which I really like. Room to spread out, good views and not overly loud. There tends to be more families out there on their blankets which I prefer.

Speaking of blankets – it was cold!

Motley Crue was the opening act. Up front – I’m not in any way a MC fan. However, trying to be objective, I have to honestly report – they sucked.

Tommy Lee’s interaction with the crowd was – well – kind of stupid. The whole “Are you ready to parrrrty? Hey, M-F’ahs”, stoner act was good when done by Spicoli. And then – only in that movie. TL just kept up the inane comments - on, and on, and on, and on. As my friend succinctly put it – “Doesn’t that asshole know there are kids out here?” Staying young at heart and being a life long kid is one thing. Being a moron is something else entirely.

Add to that a set that just wasn’t tight; 3 – count ‘em – 3 interruptions due to technical difficulties, and an awful extended guitar, well, I don’t know what it was – but it wasn’t a solo – and you get the point.

Some of the folks in the crowd were big time Crue fans – and they were saying that MC was a disappointment.

I wish it had been an Aerosmith only show. But I guess Steven Tyler can only scream for so long. After all, he is 58 years old. (Joe Perry is 56 and Tom Hamilton is 55),

Movies

On DVD this weekend I watched Click – Zero Stars and The Lost City – 2 Stars. The Lost City had a lot of potential but just didn’t quite work. The editing was particularly bad. Returned United 93 without watching it – maybe later.

Work

Took a refresher course yesterday on wood structural design. Combine an intense day with staying up late due to the concert and I'm running on half speed today. I guess I'm having a Moment of Intertia and my Modulus of Elasticity isn't what it used to be.

Addendum

Got my haircut on the way home from work. At one point I started to nod off in the chair. Told the girl I was up late due to the concert.

She and a couple of the other stylists had gone also.

First thing she talked about was how Aerosmith could have played longer and that Motley Crue was a waste of time. She and the other girls expressed the view that Tommy Lee’s language and stage presence was totally lame.

Then, she talked about how she liked a lot of Aerosmith’s opening songs but that they were from so long ago that she didn’t recognize them. Then she added:

“But a lot of the old people knew the songs and they were having a good time”.

Not older people - OLD people.

Just put me on an ice flow and shove me out to sea.

LOL

No comments: