Monday, February 06, 2006

Super Bowl XL

Had a few people over to watch the game Sunday. Not exactly a Super Bowl Party; more of an excuse to get together and hang out. Nephew, wife, and child (ADH, MIH, EIH); friend JN, long time friend (CK) and his girlfriend (E), and a friend (BS) of JN’s. Eight people counting myself. Just the right size I think.

I fixed Low Country Boil – really easy to do. The recipe was for 8 but as I’ve found before, the recipe amounts are way too much. You could almost cut the amounts in half and still have plenty. Then again, we had chips and salsa beforehand so that affects how much people eat. ADH and MIH brought an ice cream cake since it was my birthday this weekend.

I’ve found a simpler recipe with just the sausage, corn and shrimp. I’m going to try it next time and have cold potato salad on the side instead of boiling potatoes in the stew (which I think gets too mushy). Now that I think of it, I’ll ask everybody to come out for the semi-final ACC tournament basketball games. That will be on a Saturday afternoon and we all won’t be up so late on a Sunday with having to go to work the next day. Heads up folks – mark your calendars for March 11.

I think everybody had a good time. CK and E were rooting for Seattle and disappointed with the outcome. I was leaning towards Pittsburgh since Bill Cowher played for NC State – but I didn’t really have a strong favorite.

EIH (4 years old) had a blast since she was getting attention all to herself from all the adults in the house. It was obvious that we were all gathered together for the sole purpose of entertaining her and playing with her. Good food, ice cream, people to play hide and seek with and to chase her around the house! LOL What a great age and life!

I was so preoccupied with cooking and stuff that I completely forgot to take photos. Maybe CK will send me some photos when he reads this. (Addendum - Thanks CK)
JN and I met up in Raleigh for the NCSU vs. Maryland game at 1400. Close, exciting game. State let Maryland keep hanging around and almost regretted it. NC State tried to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory but was unsuccessful and we won the game anyway.

Hurried back to the house for the Super Bowl gathering and everybody all arrived about the same time.

I get up at 0530 everyday, including weekends. By the time the game was over, I was really tired so I went to bed. I can sleep though just about anything. I must have fallen right to sleep as I don’t remember hearing anything after I went to my bedroom, closed the door, and got into bed.

Thanks to all for making the long drive out to Moncure. I had a great time.

Other Stuff

My brother, sister, sister-in-law and brother-in-law sent me a package from Omaha Steaks for my birthday. What a cool gift! I’ve always wanted to try those. Thanks guys! I can’t wait to cook one of the steaks. Probably tonight.

My vacuum cleaner died last week. Got on line, picked out the one I want (Hoover S3755) and decided to see if I could buy it locally. Saturday, very early I went to WalMart in Sanford. Then to Lowes in Sanford. Then to WalMart in Cary, Lowes in Cary, Home Depot in Cary, Target in Cary, Best Buy in Cary. Best Buy had the biggest selection thus far but still not the one I wanted. Then to Cary Towne Center Mall to Sears. Penny’s and Belks. By then I’d been looking since 0700 and it was just after noon. Every place I went seemed to have the same core of models with maybe the odd item here and there. Sears and Best Buy had the biggest selection by far.

I decided to give up for the day. I’ve got one more place I can look – if no luck, I’ll order the cleaner on line.

Stopped by Lens Crafters and got my glasses adjusted while I was at the Mall. Then I stopped at the place where I get my hair cut. Since it was Saturday at 1300 – the place was full and there was a one to one and a half hour wait.

By then - it's official. Bill is annoyed. Getting nothing accomplished.

Stopped at the grocery store on the way home and got the shopping done for the Super Bowl gathering. Went home and tidied up the house a bit and that was it for the day.

Addendum

Grilled first Omaha Steak. It was was awsome!

Thanks again to my siblings.

Called Cary Sew N Vac - they said they quit carrying Hoover models years ago due to quality control issues. I dismissed that as griping.

Then - I called Capital Vacuum - They carry Hoover vacuums but said they specifically quit selling the model I wanted because they got so many back in for repairs!

So - now I've got two bad reports for the Hoover I thought I wanted. But - the on line reviews (such as epinions) rave about the model I think I want.

What to do?

No comments: