Monday, September 26, 2016

Hell Freezes Over

I worked earlier this month in Carteret County. Nice time to be at the coast. After Labor Day - nice weather - no crowds.

View From the Hotel Room

Harkers Island

One day after work, I drove over to Harkers Island. I've lived all my life in North Carolina and never been there.

It's a pretty sizable island. Similar to Manteo. And so far, it's opted out of the Vacation McMansion Blight. There's a couple of subdivisions on the water with McMs, but only a handful.

Harkers Island reminds me of Sneads Ferry from 40 years ago. A college friend's family had a vacation cottage on the ICW. We'd go there and get liquored up watch the boats, nature and stars.

Visiting Harkers Island was like stepping back in time.

Shrimp Boats

At the end of the road - at the end of the island - is the surprisingly large Core Sound Waterfowl and Heritage Center. Unexpected surprise.

Museum

View from the Lookout

Hard to see, but way in the distance - Carteret Lighthouse.

Carteret Lighthouse

Ate dinner at one of the two local restaurants - across the street from each other.



Sanitary Seafood

It's been about 20 years since I've eaten at Sanitary Seafood. With mom and dad - met them in Beaufort. I can't remember the occasion.

While working, we had lunch there one day. Food was as good as I remember. I also went back one evening for dinner. Honestly - the best fried flounder I can ever remember having. It's hard to cook fish just right - it's so delicate it's easy to under or (more likely) over cook. This one was absolutely perfect.

Sanitary used to have no alcohol sales. In fact, they're known for their sign in the entry that says they'll ask you to leave if you're inebriated and that they'd rather lose 10 drunken patrons than to lose one sober one.

Well, Sanitary now sells beer, wine and (GASP!) hard liquor. And horror of horrors - they have installed a bar - right in the middle of the main dinning room. The owner told me they got their liquor license two years ago. Frankly, I'm surprised they were able to hold out that long.

The exit is still the same with their original cash register and comment book.

Hell has Officially Frozen Over


Exit

Some days at work are better than others. Sometimes much better.

No comments: