Sunday, September 20, 2015

Weekend Update 20 SEP 2015

This entry is written over a couple of days and uploaded (or will be) on Sunday. So, if the writing is in present tense - it was written at that time - but served up later. Mostly Saturday comments while watching games.

Thursday

Watched the Clem's Son - Louisville game last night. Louisville is a top 25 team with an 0 - 3 record. They just can't seem to catch a break. They could easily win the rest of their games (including at NC State) and end up 9 and 3.

State's next home games are Louisville and then Clemson. Those games are going to be a lot different than playing Eastern Kentucky or Troy. In fact, Louisville will be State's first 'real' game. It should be exciting.

Friday

Friday night's game was FSU at Boston College. I still don't know why BC is in the ACC. I'd like to see Notre Dame come in as a full member - ditch BC and even out the league with Army and Navy. Yeah, Army's football sucks. And neither of them have what you'd call a real basketball team. But the ACC is a southern conference at heart and in the south, the military is held in high esteem (as it should be). It would have been a great fit. Actually - keep BC and lose Syracuse. Syracuse seems even less of an ACC school than BC.

Where was I?

Oh yeah - the FSU - BC game. For a bottom tier team - BC kept FSU on the ropes till the very end. I don't know what to think of any of the 4 teams I've watched Thursday and Friday. The underdogs seem a whole lot better than I thought they'd be (but still losing) - and the top tier ranked teams seem to be struggling (and still winning).

I don't know what it's going to be like when State plays any of them.

Saturday

Thought about going to the State - Old Dominion game. Actually had planned on it. Had hotel reservations in Norfolk and my sister / brother-in-law would have joined me. But - I never got tickets through the Wolfpack Club (the game is a sell out) and just decided I wanted to chill at home this weekend.

ODU is yet another 'warm up' game - but it's a road game. At a loud, full, stadium. ODU sells out their stadium. They're much like Appalachian State - they really support their football team. It's a good road test. We'll get to see how we handle a raucous, unfriendly setting. And Shadrach 'puff daddy' Thornton will be back in the game.

We're finally getting into the real college football season. There's several good games on today. And by next week, just about every game played will be 'big'.

Watching the Illinois at UNCheats game. The stands are practically empty. As in - less than 1/4 occupied. If even that much. Wow. I guess the fair weather whine and cheese fans are staying home.

Holy Moly! Is that really Bitch Davis in the ESPN2 halftime studio? For the UNC game? LOL Someone at ESPN2 has a wicked sense of humor!

Parking

I really like my parallel parking space at Carter-Finley. Easy in and easy out. Lots of room. Have plenty of room for a shade tent for tailgating. Will have to get one for next year. And, for the first time in 30 plus years, I'll ask the ticket office to 'please keep me in the same parking spot'. Hope that happens.

Sunday

Nice win. But - our seccondary can be exploited. I'm thinking that Clemson will throw the ball all over the place when we play them. We must get better on our pass defense.



Our offensive line is starting to have problems. It's injuries. The coaches have been moving folks all around to fix the holes. It is what it is. Nothing permanent - several guys have gotten banged up more than usual and it shows with protecting the QB and controlling the offensive line.

We have all new kickers. Punting looks good. Kickoffs look excellent. Field goals - not so much. We are 1 - 2 on field goals. Finally made a 36 yarder. After clanking an earlier 48 yarder off the upright. And we've missed an extra point attempt (by my count). These misses are all about accuracy. Hopefully practice and technique will fix this.

Lots of other fun games to watch yesterday.

The Ole Miss at Alabama game was exciting. It's almost impossible to win at Alabama.



Nebraska at Miami was fun - until the fourth quarter. I just can't figure out Al Golden and his coaching staff. They do the least with the most talent of just about anybody I've ever seen.

Today I will entertain myself by mowing the grass. Oh Joy! I did bring some work home so I'll probably spend a couple hours doing that too.

Bye the way - I'm not a college football (and basketball) nut. It's just there isn't anything else going on that is worth blogging about. So during the college season - it's football and basketball. Actually, I probably am a college basketball nut.

Then boredom until the next season rolls around.

Outside of going to the games - work is the same, humming birds are still here and entertaining me at the feeder, the raccoon still comes to eat at the food bowl on the deck every night (will try and get a photo), the grass still grows and needs periodic mowing. Life is good - and continues. Just not worth blogging about. If anything happens, I'll let you know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

On the Wolfpack's injuries...same story for the pro teams right now.
On boredom: Highly underrated! :)
mike of reston