Thursday, August 13, 2015

A Neighbor’s Death

Across the Street – One House Down
About 13 years ago, my builder (Lloyd) stopped by to chat and talk about a couple he was considering selling a spec house to.

He was telling me that the couple was retired, the husband had worked at US Air and the wife was a Registered Nurse. And Lloyd mentioned that the husband was black and the wife was white. Anyway, we kept chatting for a while, and then Lloyd started laughing, and said (as best as I can remember) “Bill, I knew you wouldn’t care or even notice they were mixed race.” And, I honestly replied, “Who would care?” Well, as Lloyd said – there were some neighbors who would, and I could probably guess who they were. Yeah – I had my suspects – but I didn’t let Lloyd tell me who. Lloyd was doing a casual canvas of the neighborhood to see how folks would react.

Lynda and Freeman moved into the neighborhood.

Anyway – while we say hello in passing, I am not what you would call friends with Lynda and Freeman. But I have a pretty good passing acquaintance with Freeman.

He was huge when they moved in. Like, close to 400 lbs.

He started riding a bicycle for exercise. You’d see him riding everywhere and we’d always wave and shout hello or stop and chat. He even rode that bike on US 1 Freeway! It’s a wonder he didn’t get hit. Eventually Freeman got down to about 200 lbs – which is about right for him. He’s a good 6 ft. 6 in. If not even taller. Looks like a former NFL defensive lineman.

Lynda was an RN for over 45 years and then did volunteer work.

A couple years back, during one of our passing chats, Freeman told me Lynda had developed thyroid cancer. But, eventually she responded to treatment and she seemed to be OK. Whenever we spoke, Freeman was upbeat and positive.

Unfortunately, the cancer came back and spread pretty quickly.

Apparently Lynda decided that she didn’t want to go through a lingering cancer death, and she didn’t want her family to have to go through that either. So, this week, Lynda decided to take matters into her own hand.

Being an RN, Lynda had the medical and pharmacological knowledge to do what she had decided to do.

Life can put folks into impossible situations. Until we’ve been there - we just don’t know what we would or would not do.

I'm having a hard time writing this - so I'm gonna stop now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lynda showed such courage in controlling how she wanted her life to be. She is the sort of person that I would want to "rub off" on me in her resolve and I'll say it, clear thinking. It's just me, but she had an enviable understanding of life's satisfactions and its limitations. Poor Freeman. He will suffer so. Thank you for describing this so skillfully. I actually thought you were going to say that Freeman had lost his life, so this was a bit of a sucker-punch. Life. Ironic.
mike of reston

Ward said...

I knew neither Lynda or Freeman. But I admire Lynda's courage and hope that if I am in similar circumstance I will have both the courage and the option to forego a lingering painful death.