Saturday, November 20, 2010

Head Cold, Windshield and Movies + Addendum

First, the head cold is just about over. Still have a lot of congestion but that’s mostly residual along with my ‘all my life’ sinus issues. When I turned 14, along with all the other changes, I started having full time sinus congestion. It was so continuous my parents eventually sent me to the Duke allergy center. Chronic sinusitis – no cure, no fix, just deal with it.

Windshield

Earlier this week I was contacted by SB from Wake Stone Corporation. SB took down what little information I had about the dump truck and offered to try and identify the trucker / company.

Friday, got an email from SB with the trucking company info and contact information. I’ll get in touch with them next week. Honestly, I doubt that the driver will own up to responsibility – but – it sure won’t hurt to call and ask. Heck, I may even be surprised.

I was surprised and very appreciative when I was contacted by Wake Stone (I had sent them an email with a link to my entry about the windshield). Wake Stone is the quarry - NOT the owner of the truck – so it wasn’t any of their responsibility. And frankly, I’m just one guy with a windshield so it would have been easy to ignore my email.

But – the folks at Wake Stone are stand up people and tracked down the trucking company info for me. Now that’s doing the right thing.

I’m very impressed - kudos to the folks at Wake Stone.

Movies

Watched A Serious Man and Before the Devil Knows You’re Dead this week. The Cohen Brother make interesting movies. Serious Man is very very dry Jewish humor. I really enjoyed it – even though I didn’t understand some of the ‘inside’ jokes. Here’s a hint – if you rent this movie – after the end credits the film gives you humorous definitions of a lot of the Jewish idioms and words. Definitely worth going past the credits for.

Before The Devil Knows You’re Dead is an excellent movie. Very distressing to watch. But Seymour Hoffman is a tremendous actor and his role in this movie is outstanding.

Addendum

State 29 - UNC 25

Game was even closer than the score indicates. Carolina had the ball with 50 seconds left and down 2 points. A field goal would have won it. State made the plays that counted. Downing our punt to UNC at the 4 yard line and then sacking Carolina in the end zone for a safety.



State's defense had 7 sacks in the game.

Sunday Night Addendum

Just finished watching Winter's Bone. Incredible writing, story and direction. Unbelievably awesome acting performance by Jennifer Lawrence. Outstanding performances all around. Awful premise and terribly distressing to watch. Five out of five stars.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes--Winter's Bone--my favorite film of this past year. Yesterday, saw "Fair Game," which also is Very Worthy--but its excellence only served to ticked off Chuck and our bud, Dave, so much they almost couldn't sit in their seats.
m of reston