Thursday, February 04, 2010

Work Week in New Bern

I was working in the New Bern area this week.

Long days.

New Bern is a nice town. The downtown historic area has a lot of shops and restaurants near the waterfront along with 3 hotels and several inns.

Here's a couple of sunrise photos taken outside the Comfort Inn.



January and February are prime oyster season.

I had oysters for lunch 3 times this week. That's more oysters than I've had in the past 5 years. They were all local - from Swansboro. Plump and juicy. Man, they were good.

Depending on where you go, the prices can vary greatly. All 3 lunches were pretty much exactly the same - oysters, fries, slaw. Monday we ate at Morgan's Tavern - $6.50. Tuesday - Tryon Palace Seafood and Sting Ray Cafe - $9.00. And the whopper was at Gary's Down East Seafood at Minnosott - $13.00!!!!

Not only was the price the best at Morgans, they were the best prepared and Morgan's had the best service and atmosphere. Right in the heart of downtown New Bern, I strongly recommend Morgan's Tavern.

We also had an early dinner one evening at the Harvey Mansion.

The Nuke'ster came up to Moncure while I was out of town (he had a crown put in). When I got home Thursday, he was here and put out French bread, olive oil, and red wine vinegar. That was great for dinner - fresh bread; a drink; and a fire in the fireplace.


The BIG news - my niece and nephew-in-law had their second child Thursday. Maci arrived about 3 weeks early. Not a real problem or anything - just early. My theory is she wanted to share birthdays with her Uncle Bill (yep - 54 today).

Will post a photo when they send me one.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: