Sunday, May 04, 2008

Tulips, Lilies and Daffodils, Oh My

The plan was to have the Daffodils, Tulips and Lilies bloom at different times. More importantly, to have them all bulbs so they will bloom year after year.

It worked. Sort of.

The Daffodils bloomed first - 3 of them. The tulips bloomed second - 2 of them. Now the lilies are all blooming at once. Tons of them.

 
The stalks are bending over - I think because the flowers are so large and heavy. This is the largest pot. 2 daffodil and 1 tulip plants grew.

 
In the medium pot - looks like it will be the last of the tulip blooming. A little more successful with daffodils that grew.

 
The smallest pot had lilies that bloomed first. Also, 4 tulip plants grew (but didn't bloom) and 6 daffodils grew (but did not bloom).

I didn't realize how ratty the daffodils would look after they bloomed. They're still green - but droopy and rather sad looking. I've found out this is normal.

The tulips are still sturdy and upright - but the flower just didn't bloom. The buds were there - but they shriveled up. May have been under watered or over watered - I don't know.

But the tulips - wow - they are coming in like crazy.

I might rethink my strategy and remove the tulip and daffodil bulbs.

 
This guy was hanging around while I was taking pictures. I think he was looking for food handouts.

Can't see him?

Click on the photo and zoom in to between the lounge chair and table - where the rail meets the deck.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm surprised the critters haven't been having hors d'oeuvre parties with the flora on your deck! :)
mike of reston