Thursday, May 11, 2006

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Wednesday, we inspected Polk Correctional Institute.

Combination of Medium Custody, Close Custody, Intensive Custody, Segregation, Protective Custody and SuperMax.

Gang members, guys needing protection, and felons assigned as needing to be in serious incarceration.

Here’s a News Flash – It is NOT like you see on TV or the Movies.

The Inmates are NOT big hulking weight lifters.

Just regular guys. Mostly young. Which fits the profile of guys who seem to get into trouble

And some who seem to find a way to get into very serious trouble.

Many appear, to me, mentally disturbed or very low IQ.

But – very seriously dangerous – if out in the public.


Here’s another New Flash –

We (the inspection team) – walk among the inmate population.

Yep – we inspect the buildings, HVAC, power systems, control systems, structural, etc.

And yes – we are among the inmates.

As in – the inmates are in cells, common rooms, class rooms, visitation, dinning, lining up for lunch, classes, playing soft ball, hanging out in the yard, etc. – and we are out mingling with them. We’re not separated.

We just walk among the inmates / guys.

Me – “Excuse me, is it OK if I look at your room?”

Inmate – “Sure – no problem dude.”

I look around.

Me – “Thanks man.”

Inmate – “No prob. You seen everything? I can show you how the sink works or whatever.”

Me – “Thanks man, I got what I need. Everything works? OK?”

Inmate – “Yeah. It’s cool.”


IF – and it’s a BIG IF – a problem occurs – well – hopefully I’d be in a control pod – if not – well then – I’d be among the inmates.

Believe it or not – it’s very safe. Problems simply don't occur.

Even though a lot of these guys have (mostly) nothing to lose – they are courteous – kind – polite – and very well behaved.

I felt just fine and comfortable.


As for the SuperMax Building

Those guys (in my opinion) have serious emotional or mental problems.

But even then – the inmates just want contact with somebody.

Anybody

But if you (me) acknowledge them and make eye contact – or a simple "How's it going?" - they were very grateful.

Make no mistake - these guys are very serious and very dangerious.

But - bottom line - they are human beings.

The guards and staff treat them with dignity and respect.



And so do I.

1 comment:

darling said...

Hi there,

My aunt volunteers here with the inmates and I think shes brave. I went to a volunteer appreciation night in her stead and my eyes opened up and thought that Id add that to the list of things to do in life. Something along the lines of offering an ear or conversation.. time. Outside, people still need people, I can imagine that they would appreciate it as well.. and yes, respect for everyone :)
Cheers