Wednesday, November 16, 2005

First Entry In My Online Blog

Blog . . .

I really don't like trendy things, including language. Although blog is going to become a mainstream word, I prefer journal.

So - I'm in my motel room in Albemarle, NC. It's about 18:00 and I'm trying to productively use the time to get a journal started. There's not much to do after hours when traveling for my job. Most locations are in the rural areas of NC.

I always try and visit the local downtown and walk around when on the road. Surprisingly, NC's small towns seem to be undergoing a revival of sorts. Lumberton, Albemarle, Raeford for example - all have new small shops and restaurants opening up in their once empty town centers.

Had dinner tonight in a great place called Pontiac Pointe in Albemarle. Located in a former Pontiac dealership in a building from the 1930's. The staff told me over $1.5M had been spent renovating the building into a restaurant. I believe it. The place is awesome. And the food and service was as good as in any urban area. Only difference, my meal cost a whopping total of $17.00 including a glass of wine and tip!

Shrimp and snow peas with Cappelini; soup (instead of salad - different); sourdough bread with the usual olive oil and basalmic vinegar; house white.

This meal would have easily been over $30.00 in Raleigh.

Here's their web site: Pontiac Pointe

They've been open a year.

I hope they make it.

No comments: