Sunday, August 27, 2017

Getting Old is for the Birds

I have developed rheumatoid arthritis.

It started suddenly last month (per the doctor - 'acute onset' - fancy doctor word for sudden).

Pain in my right wrist woke me up early on a Friday morning (July 21 to be exact). It wasn't too awful, so I took an ibuprofen and went to work. It got worse as the day went on. I figured I had somehow sprained my wrist or ligaments or something.

When I got home, it was hurting enough that I had two rum and cokes to help me sleep. Bad Decision. I found out later, alcohol might be a factor. Anyway, about 3 AM Saturday morning I woke up in extreme pain. I mean - it felt like my wrist was burning from the inside, slightest movement caused pain spikes, damn near tears it hurt so bad.

With a lot of difficulty, I drove to the Wake Med (Cary) Emergency Room.

After about 3 hours, I left with a splint, ace bandage, orthopaedic referral and a prescription for something called Norco. The splint helped with the movement pain spikes. The Norco did nothing.

I don't know how this Norco stuff is supposed to be partly responsible for the opioid epidemic. It didn't do s*%t for me. After using 4 of them - I quit taking them. Ibuprofen helped better (found out later it helps with inflammation).

Still in a lot of pain - the appointment with the orthopedic doctor was the following Tuesday. The doctor did a great job of explaining what was going on.

I thought nothing could hurt worse than it already did. I was wrong.

To confirm the diagnosis he had to take a fluid sample from the joint. Folks, you have not lived until you have a needle stuck in your wrist into the joint. Even with the prior cortisone shot - it was an experience I'll never forget. From the cortisone shot, the pain finally subsided in about 3 or so hours.

To bring an overly long story to a conclusion - I'm now on a preventative prescription. It has also developed in my left wrist, but nowhere near the prior pain - so simple ibuprofen takes care of it.

Avoid sugars and carbohydrates in general (which is a good suggestion even without arthritis).

It's prevalent in senior citizens, so you could also avoid getting old as well. 😎

Lessons Learned

Emergency Rooms are for life threatening issues. I should have gone to a 24-hour Emergency Clinic. In fact, there are even 24-hour Orthopaedic Clinics - several in Raleigh.

I have great insurance. Still, the Emergency Room bill (after co-pays and such) is well over a thousand dollars. The ER doctor is billed separately ($330 charge - $100 co-pay).

If I had gone to an Emergency Clinic - BC/BS said my co-pay would have been $100 Clinic co-pay and a doctor co-pay of $100.

(Normal non-emergency orthopaedic co-pays have been $100 x 2 and follow up with my GP $40.)

Total, I'm about $1,350 out of pocket for the ER visit. But I got a really nifty splint and ace bandage!

I wonder what the street value of Norco is? Maybe I could recoup some of my expense.

Live and learn.

More Importantly

Football starts next Saturday. NC State vs the South Carolina Gamechickens - in Charlotte.

4 comments:

Brother said...

Because of pain getting too bad to sleep, got diagnosis on shoulder from general practitioner, he said surgery is a must due to complete torn supraspinatus tendon (this is after x-rays and MRI-out of pocket about $500). Made appointment w/surgeon, he advised no surgery, shot in some cortisone(or generic-this was at Kaiser & doubt they use the real stuff), Pain gone. I had put up with the pain since the '80's, got real bad last few weeks(similar to your description). Surgeon says anyone over 60 had some wear & tear on shoulder/wrist tendons. Bitch getting older!

Anonymous said...

Home remedies for Rheumatoid Arthritis. Lots of fresh fruits an veggies. Decrease red meat sugar and ETOH. Have a cup of warm water with 2tbsp of honey and 2tbsp of of Braggs Vinegar with "mother"(It makes tthe vinegar cloudy)once or twice a day. It helps to make the body more alkaline. Curcumen can be helpful😍
Be careful with ibuprofen, always take with food💞
Isnt it wonderful having a nurse in the family😘. Do as I say, Dont do as I do! Love u guy. Hazel

posts said...

Thanks Hazel. I've heard that Braggs is supposed to have numerous benefits.

Y'all have a safe trip back home.

Unknown said...

I am so sorry to hear of your pain. I have arthritis in both knees but I am sure it's worse in the wrist. Best wishes for some sort of relief, homie.