Wednesday, March 08, 2017

Starting Over - Again

Basketball

This was supposed to be the year.

No more 'wait till next year'.

This was the year that we had very good returning players and one of the best (ranked as high as 4th) recruiting classes in the nation. Not quite Dook or UNC - but close. It was supposed to be the start of a resurgent NC State Basketball Powerhouse.

Didn't happen.

We didn't stumble - we didn't miss by a little - we failed miserably. Never even came close.

We even struggled during the 'warm up season' playing small, overmatched schools. We won - games that were much too close.

When the ACC season started it became painfully obvious we had serious problems. We played like the pre-season hype twice - against VT and Dook. The rest of the games - usually not even close. And set a losing score record over at UNCHeats. The wheels came off the bus.

It's just a game. But it's a game that I spend (what is for me) serious money on tickets and Wolfpack Club dues. I realize it's 18 and 19 year old kids out there - but this year's performance was inexcusable.

I have never been more disappointed since I joined the Wolfpack Club 30+ years ago.

Even still - I would have given Coach Gottfried another year to turn the ship around. It's clear he's made some serious missteps - but I still think he's a coach with unlimited potential.

AD Yow decided to make a change. The search is underway but results won't be known till after the NCAA Tournament.

I think State has to take a chance on an up and coming coach. There's about 6 guys out there that are excellent candidates.

My choice would be Will Wade at Virginia Commonwealth University. He'd be a great fit.

Anyway - I'll still enjoy the NCAAT. Like I did during the Sidney Lowe years. It's a ton of fun to watch.

Look out for Florida State.

ABC. I believe those rat bastards can win it all. Sigh . . .

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ya gotta hope! Good luck :)
mike of reston