Sunday, March 29, 2015

Weekend Update 29 MAR 2015

Work

Work is about the same. As just about always. Since I do long range planning and budgeting, by nature it's low key and routine. If it got exciting, then something would be wrong.

We hold an annual conference for people and companies involved in construction and work on State buildings and facilities. This year's was last Thursday.

We try and have worthwhile and interesting presentations and educational sessions. The SCO Construction Conference isn't just a networking and bs meeting (although there's a lot of that too). From my geek point of view, this year's was one of the best ones and had presentations that focused on 'how to' do various things.

There is a followup event (the after-party) that is held specifically for networking. That's the HUB (Historically Underutilized Businesses) Social Meet and Greet that is held in immediately after the Conference. It's basically a cocktail social where minority and women's businesses can mingle with other contractors, State agencies and Universities to make contacts and get their names out there.

I haven't gone to the HUB event in several years. I already pretty much know everybody and I'm just not the type that enjoys small talk and bs gossip. There's a lot of lobbying going on - companies angling for work; Agencies and Universities wanting funding support; and so on. I really don't like lobbying and small talk. Actually, i pretty much hate it (I'd make a terrible politician). But, I think I'll start attending again. It's good to represent the State Construction Office and to give our implicit support by attending.

Home

I put a small pork loin in the slow cooker this morning. Along with small new potatoes and carrots. It's the same thing I did a few weeks ago. It's actually the same pork loin. I had cut it in half and this is the half that's been in the freezer.

This time I'm going with the tried and true eastern NC bbq sauce of vinegar, a little water and hot pepper flakes in the bottom of the cooker. Keeping it simple and cooking it on low setting.

Should be ready to eat when the basketball games start.

Basketball

Well, State's unexpected run to the Sweet 16 ended Friday night. It was a good game but Louisville looked just a little bit better than State - and won accordingly.

We never actually brought our full A game in the tournament. We should have lost the very first game. But, LSU did everything they could to help us make a comeback and win that game. Our best game was against Villinova. We played pretty well against Louisville, and it actually felt like we were the better team. We just couldn't put together sustained good play. It's hard to beat a ranked team twice in one season.

State surprised us fans this year. One of the most fun years I've ever had watching NC State basketball.

Notre Dame actually gave Kentucky a serious game and darn near pulled off the upset.

I'm looking forward to the Dook - Gonzaga game later today. That has the potential to be the best game of the NCAAT so far. Hoping Dook will make it to the Championship Game vs. Kentucky. I would expect that to be the game of the Tournament.

Here's to the Great Satan. I wonder if Coach K sacrificed enough small children and puppies before the season began? Hope Dook wins it all (but if I were betting, my money would be on Kentucky).

No comments: