Sunday, August 31, 2014

Labor Day Weekend 2014 +Addendum

Football

The heat and humidity were awful at the game yesterday. I don't know how the kids play in conditions like that.

I stayed hydrated but in the fourth quarter I was starting to feel a little sick - like I could throw up. I didn't say anything about it to anyone - but in retrospect - should have left early.

Had a hard time walking back to the truck after the game. And when I finally got home, I still felt un-well for a couple of hours.

At least half the crowd at the game was gone by the fourth quarter too - due to the heat and the score.

State did pull out the last minute (1:37) victory with a great march down the field and touchdown. It was the only time we led in the game.

Don't know what to think about the team yet. Hard to tell with this game. The first half we looked like NC State of last year. The second half we looked pretty good.

Weekend

Have 2 days left of the 3 day weekend. Absolutely nothing planned.

Addendum

Right after the above post, I went out for breakfast and stopped at Target to pick up a cheese grater.

I've been meaning to get a handle / rotary cheese grater for, gosh, years? I just never think about it when I'm out running errands. So, made a special point to do that this morning.

The one I got has a cap for the open end so you can leave the block of cheese in the tool - cap it - and just put the whole thing in the fridge. It also comes apart very easily for cleaning.

Here's the one I got:

http://www.target.com/p/oxo-softworks-rotary-grater/-/A-13567830#prodSlot=medium_1_6&term=cheese+grater

Wonder how long the link will last?

Football Addendum Note

I feel much better about yesterday's game and the rest of the season after watching Coach Doeren's post game press conference. He answers questions directly and doesn't cop out with coach-speak or bull-poop.

http://www.gopack.com/collegesportslive/?media=462421

There were a lot of comments about conditioning and how that helped our team finish the game while the other team was having problems.

Not said was something about conditioning that I've been thinking and carping about throughout the Tom O'Brien era.

Every year with T'OB we were plagued by seemingly endless injuries. The same thing last year (Doeren's first year and carryover from T'OB's conditioning program). I always felt that we had so many injuries each year that it had to be linked to our strength and conditioning coaches and methods.

This year - Coach D's first full year - with his new strength and condition coaches and regimen, we've had only 1 serious practice injury resulting in a player being out (for probably 3 or 4 games). And - no injuries in our opening game - and all the guys did well. Especially in horrible temperature and humidity conditions.

Clearly T'OB could never figure it out. He was not the coach and leader I had hoped he would be. And frankly, he was mired in his own out of date philosophy and did not possess the intelligence, temperament and ability to adapt and learn.


2 comments:

井上エイド said...

Somebody should've challenged you to the ACS ice water dump during the game!

Anonymous said...

Check-up time! mike of reston