Sunday, September 23, 2007

It Was Only A Matter Of Time


Very hot and humid Saturday at the game. Miserable. Including on the field.

News reports say over 100 people were treated for heat exhaustion and dehydration. Some were taken to the hospital. Plus, the concessions ran out of bottled water before half time. During the second half, when I went to purchase some water, the kind lady at the counter gave me a cup full of ice and pointed me to the water fountains.

11 players on defense were also treated for heat effects. The defense was on the field a long time and it must have been awful for them.

We got the dickens beat out of us. I’m wondering if we’ll be able to win another game this season. Maybe UNC – they’re about on par with State this year.

Still – fun to go to the game and hang out with Chip and Weeble.

Work

Heading back to Boone this week.

It will be cooler in the mountains.

Today

Today – doing nothing. Just puttering around the house – cleaning – laundry – the mundane.

The Lee County Airport is about 2 miles from my house. I get to watch the small planes fly around on Saturdays and Sundays. They give flying lessons so there’s always a planes flying around and up and down and varying speeds.

Got a call from a friend last night who wanted to go fishing today at the coast. Had to turn down the invite. Out of town next week so I’ve got to get laundry and house chores done today.

Bummer.

Hot Tub

I haven’t written about the hot tub in a while – re: not being able to get the service technician out here.

Here’s the short version of bringing the story up to date.

The circuit breaker kept tripping and the light switch wouldn’t work. I thought the problems were related.

The light switch seemed to sort of fix itself. It now works.

The circuit breaker kept tripping. Danny the electrician replaced the breaker. At first – it would work for a while then trip off.

Danny came back – traced the fault to the tub. One of the three pumps was causing the circuit to trip.

While I was gone last week Danny removed the suspect pump and is seeing if it can be repaired. If not – he’ll replace it.

Right now the tub is sitting on blocks on the deck.

Seems like the tub problems have been a combination of things going wrong all at the same time. Or maybe they’re related. Who knows? Anyway – hopefully with a repaired, or new, pump – things will be working again.

I hope.

It’s been too hot to get into the darn thing anyway.

It Was Only A Matter Of Time



Had breakfast at the café in Pittsboro this morning. Veggie omelet ($5) plus coffee. When I went to pay I handed the young girl cashier two 5 dollar bills. She rang it up, handed me back on of the fives and a quarter.

Me: “Excuse me, I think you’ve made a mistake. The omelet is five dollars plus coffee.”

Cashier: “It comes to $4.75 with the senior discount.”

Me: stunned silence

I think I’ll watch TV to take my mind off that. I’m sure there’s a rerun of Matlock on one of the channels.

Maybe I’ll take a nap first.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hoo hoo! Chick Filet also gives seniors free drinks :)
Don't turn your nose up at senior prices for movies--all the cashiers think everyone over 40 is ancient! Just ask--and keep the change. You'll need it for the retirement home!
mike of Reston