Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Ice Cream & Yogurt

I really should have a photo to go along with this entry.

Still feeding the raccoons and one possum. Of the raccoons, one female has distinctive behavior that sets her apart from the other raccoons.

First, she always shows up during daylight hours around 6 PM. Second, if she’s there and another raccoon shows up, she is definitely the dominant raccoon. Third, she has become somewhat used to me and reacts warily to my presence but not outright fear.

For example, she’ll see me inside or at the door watching her. While she keeps an eye on me, she doesn’t run when I’m around. Also, she now comes to the screen door and peeks through to see what going on. Sometimes she does this to investigate sounds such as the TV or when I talk to her. Other wild animals will take off when they hear noises or see me moving around the house.

Last night while she was eating, I decided to give her a little treat since it’s been so hot – ice cream.

When I opened the screen door – she backed off – but didn’t run like I expected. Instead, she put about 5 feet or so distance between herself and me and watched while I put the ice cream in the bowl.

She clearly loved that stuff. Lapping the ice cream at first – she finally picked up the rest of it and put a big chunk in her mouth and swallowed it whole. She actually shuddered a little bit. I don’t know if from excitement or from an ice cream headache. LOL

I think I’ll start giving her a scoop of yogurt with the dog food. It’s probably better for her and still a treat.

No comments: