Wednesday, June 14, 2006

A Good Read

I subscribe to The Atlantic Monthly. It’s the best general subject magazine published today. The articles range all over the place. For example, one of my favorite all time articles was The Making of Steinway 487 (not sure of the exact number) published several years back. The author followed the building of a Steinway Concert Grand from start to finish.

The current issue’s 2 main articles are Inside the Jihad and The Monster of Florence.

I love reading. I’ll read just about anything. Crime novels and True Crime books, however, are not my preferred subjects. But – the true crime article The Monster of Florence written by crime novelist Douglas Preston is riveting. If you enjoy reading, pick up The Atlantic Monthly and give it a try. Every month there’s something in it that will capture your attention.

Speaking of True Crime books – that is my writer brother-in-law’s (ACH) forte (see note below). He has several books published. I edit and proof read his writing. Some writers just have a knack for their craft. He’s one of them. His books are easy to read. I don’t mean that they are simple – I mean that his style is so good that the story just seems to naturally flow. But some of the crimes that he has written about are just gruesome. I’ve actually had to put some of the drafts down and take a break because I get so creeped out by what took place.

Anyway, even though I don’t particularly care for crime stories – the one in this month’s Atlantic is a great read. Check it out.

PS

Bird is doing well and has traded up from a cardboard box to a new small cage. She does seem to have what appears to be a birth defective left leg. It isn't broken - it just doesn't seem to work properly. But, she isn't making any distress calls or anything like that. She's eating well, fluttering around and getting used to her new 'digs'.

PPS

Possessed answering machine has quit working.

Note

Normally I use initials when blogging about friends and relatives. In this case - since ACH is published and therefore in the public domain - here is a link to a (somewhat dated) biography.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Have you read :The Brief and Frightening Reign of Phil" by George Saunders yet? Def check it oot, eh. Its only 150 pages, but extremely entertaining.

Chippie