Thursday, March 22, 2007

Thursday Morning +Addendum

Basketball

WVa won the game 71 – 66.

It was a tight, hard played game to the very end. NC State has done far better than anybody thought they would this year. We’re all very proud of our team.

From USA Today - here’s a humble quote from WVa’s star player Frank Young:

“All season long I have been putting this team on my shoulders and as a senior I did it again,” said Young. “It was nice to be able to step up in that kind of situation.”

And a quote from NC State’s star player Engin Atsur:

“They (WVa) made big, crazy shots. They deserved to win.”

I drove over to Taylorsville, about 45 minutes west of Winston-Salem, to watch the game with an old friend Steve L. It was nice to visit and catch up while watching the game.

Family

Nephew ADH, his Japanese wife MIH and daughter EIH live in Cary. ADH works for Red Hat and he’s fluent in Japanese. With his, to be honest (not bragging) world class Linux knowledge and foreign language skills – RH wants him to move back to Tokyo and base out of there. They’ll be moving pretty soon.

Of course, I wish they could stay forever in Cary. But, in today’s global market, especially at the high end of the spectrum, people like my nephew rarely stay in one location forever.

This move is especially hard on his parents, GH and CH. They dote on their 3 grand children and are understandably worried they are going to miss out on EIH’s growing up.

I think there are reasonable options. Such as EIH visiting her grandparents for extended summer visits. And, my sister GH is going to have to take some sort of “Fear of Flying” course so she can go over to Tokyo for visits. If my sister can master her fear of flying, GH and CH will able to take trips over there as they have the time since they are somewhat simi-retired. They write and work out of their home. And, despite their protests to the contrary, they can easily afford such trips.

This will still be hard on them – but that’s the way it is in today’s global world.

I just hope that ADH is making the right move career wise. I hope it’s not just a case of RH moving him around as an asset but as a future potential for very top level management at some point.

Work

Still in Winston-Salem this week. We won’t get everything completed as we expected and will have to come back for a couple of days to finish things up.

Evening Addendum

Watching the NCAA's in my hotel room.

I forgot to mention. The final 4 teams in the NIT are all number 1 seeds. Air Force, Clemson, Mississippi State and West Virginia (which beat NC State to get to the NIT Final Four).

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Man, I am sorry to hear about the H's moving back to Japan. When are they leaving? Are you going to have a farewell party for them??

C.