Saturday, February 18, 2012

Karl Hess


Being a ref is a hard job. You get a lot of verbal abuse. However, pretty much short of being threatened, you have to be able to ignore what the fans yell and you need to concentrate on officiating the game. If you can't do that - then maybe being a ref is not your thing. If you can't stand the heat, don't even go into the kitchen in the first place.

Karl Hess is a basketball official who works ACC games (and other conferences). He ejected two Fans (not players or coaches - FANS) from today's FSU at NC State Game.

Here's the video:



And here is what is purported to be a firsthand account by a Student in the Student Section right behind the incident who claims to have heard everything. This is taken from scout.com / Pack Pride message boards:

Posted: Today 5:24 PM
Googs and Corch Clarification. (Eye witness account)
________________________________________
I know there is already multiple threads talking about this, but I didn't want the actual facts to get lost in them.

I was sitting two rows behind Chris & Tom. If you watch the video I am in the second row of SWPC members. I heard everything, including when another ref called out a student near me for saying "Quit looking at the dance team." The cop came over and just laughed at the comment and said, you are fine you can stay.

Chris and Tom were harmlessly complaining about the ref. No profanity. They had two very young daughters with them and I doubt they would ever cuss with them there. I never saw anything other than just average complaining.

Karl walked over and pointed at them and said, "Get them out of here." He then found a cop and said, "I want you to get them out of here. Those two right there."

If you listen closely to the video you can hear him say the 'those two' comment.

And that was pretty much that. I was right there. I saw it first-hand thats exactly what happened almost word for word.

I was in shock. Someone next to me asked, "why are you so upset? who are those guys?" I responded by pointing to the rafters at their two jerseys. Debbie Yow needs to seriously do something about this.
Last edited Today 5:32 PM by Statefan44


That the two fans were former star NC State players is not the issue.

Any fan should be able to cheer, yell, and opine about the ref's abilities - as long as they do not disrupt play, threaten or endanger others, or behave in a manner that is disruptive to others (such as profanity around other fans, especially children). Short of that - a ref has no place whatsoever to involve himself with, or interact with, any fan. Former player or average Joe - doesn't matter. The ref should officiate the game and ignore everything else.

I don't care how 'good' he is - IF this account is correct - then Karl Hess is a self-aggrandizing, self-absorbed, preening, prima donna who should not be officiating ACC games.

National Anthem

On a more positive note - Nuke and I always make it a point to be at our seats in time for the National Anthem. It's one of those things that makes me feel good - to be able to stand at attention and sing along with everyone else. Today I took this photo:

No comments: