Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Pray4Ray



I don't know this guy or anyone associated with him or the web site.

He's probably a great guy - but for some reason, every time I've seen or heard about pray4ray the last few days - something about it just seems to rub me the wrong way.

Every couple of days there's a small article on the local news about a Charlotte man who was injured during this years Pamplona running of the bulls and associated festivities.

Today for example:

http://www.newsobserver.com/158/story/461723.html

He was pretty seriously hurt.

I do wish him a full and speedy recovery.

Being the web and information age - right after he got hurt - this web page was set up asking people to send their messages / prayers to him, etc. (and a place to donate $).

www.pray4ray.com

Check out the Tee shirt you can buy!

The site highlights Ray and his friends and what a nice clean cut family they are and this is simply an awful, awful I tell you, thing to befall them.

(His injury really is awful - regardless of why or how it happened.)

Sometimes bad things happen to good (Christian) people.

Well, I assume there's some sort of Christian thing going on here. I mean, we are implicitly asked to pray4ray!

Lots of Ray's photos seem to involve cans of beer, bottles of beer, or just plain alcohol and a good ol party time in general.

Allah willing - Ray will recover.

I wonder if it was God's will that Ray get into a bull ring and piss off some angry frightened cattle?

I wonder if Ray consumed any alcohol that day (which seems so ubiquitous in the photos)?


Let's be nice and pray for Ray's recovery.

I do hope that Ray recovers and will be ok.

We might also pray that Ray refrains from drinking too much and annoying large potentially dangerous animals.

Other People Who Do Dangerous Stuff

Perusing the pray4ray web site with numerous 'party on' photos caused me to think of my good friend JN who spent 14 years in the airborne serving his country.

Nuke and his fellow soldiers enjoyed more than their fair share of beer.

Plus they did some pretty dangerous things too - like combat in Desert Storm and peace keeping in Kosovo.

If you're so inclined - send your money to pray4ray.

But - before you send your money - check out anysolder.com and woundedwarriorproject.org.

Now there's a couple of truly worthwhile causes.

Also

If you look around, I'll bet your local fire department, rescue squad or police department might have a cause you could support as well.

And there's always Habitat for Humanity.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hooray! Finally someone who sees things the way I do. I, too, noticed that every picture on this web-site has some container of alcoholic beverage and the "party-hardy" mentality. But if you invoke the good Catholic faith and the power of prayer, all is well in the world. I learned a long time ago that in the Catholic church if you tithe enough money, the church can overlook just about anything. $Cash$ is the name of the game!!!! I, too, also feel very sorry for this young man's condition, but no-one, NO-ONE, held a gun to his head and told him to do the stupid tricks he did to get there. So, hooray, again, to this opine!